Chinese-Forums

Which one is easier for you as an English native speaker learning Chinese?

Enjune Zhang

It will be a translation from Chinese to English when you are listening and reading materials in Chinese, while English into Chinese, speaking and writing in Chinese. Which part will be easier for you and why?

Some say that an absorption of Chinese is less effort taking than expression in Chinese. Is it the same case with you? Or you are fluent and proficient enough to make a shuttle between English and Chinese without the process of translation? Pls share your idea of how to maintain balance between input and output when you learn Chinese?

4 hours ago, Enjune Zhang said:

Some say that an absorption of Chinese is less effort taking than expression in Chinese.

If the speaker talks really slowly and with simple words, yes.

But otherwise, generally I find it easier to ask questions in Chinese than to understand the answers in Chinese.

And I don't always "translate" to/from Chinese in my head.

I only do this process when I'm actively studying/trying to commit to memory/encountering new words.

(oh, I didn't notice the title. I am not a native English speaker. But I am not a native Chinese speaker either.)

I think he's asking which direction is easier.

In speech, it's far easier to speak than understand because you control the vocabulary and context.

In writing, it's far easier to read than write because of all the conventions associated with the written language.

I believe these principles apply no matter what two languages are involved.