Chinese-Forums

How do you say “hike” and “hiking” in  Chinese?

Dawei3

21 hours ago, NinjaTurtle said:

If I write 爬山, 登山, and 攀岩 on the board, will these words give Chinese students the distinctions  I am looking for?

It's a cool idea to give these to your students.  This said, I don't have a strong idea what is best.  

I particularly would be interested in their definitions of 爬山 since this seems to have a broad definition, from hiking to mountain climbing.  

You might consider using the less used & more formal 远足 (albeit, with the knowledge that at least one of my friends saw 远足 as describing the activities of kindergarteners and your students are likely older.  Even this is interesting to me).

Whatever you find, it would be great to share it with us.  I enjoy these explorations of language & meaning.  

• Like 1

As a heritage speaker, I actually had to look up 远足 in this meaning, as I don't consciously recall it being used in this way. 

If it is a neologism, I think it could fill the gap between 散步 / 走一走 and 爬山. I'd say 登山 and 攀岩 have much stricter definitions, with the final one being more-or-less aligned with the English "rock-climbing".

However, 远足 competes with 徒步 for that "hiking" niche, and it looks like at least on Google Trends 徒步 is way ahead.

With regard to the above discussion on "shades of meaning" applied to 'words' and 'constructions' - the whole "grue" issue with colour is a very clear demonstration.

Just to stir the pot a bit, is "trekking" no longer 'a thing'?

• Like 1