Chinese-Forums

White Storm 2: Drug Lords 扫毒2

abcdefg

Hong Kong crime action at its best, in the tradition of early 周润发 (Chow Yun Fat) flicks. All star cast, many familiar faces, intelligent directing. If you like a film in which there are innovative car chases and lots of things get blown up, consider seeing this. Plenty of sex, drugs, and no-holds-barred violence. Themes of people trying to change their lives and go straight, mixed loyalties, shifting alliances and unforeseen betrayals. Wily crooks; upright cops. Triad bosses and young punks. Lots of shoot 'em up. 

Spoiler

Near the end, approaching the final shootout, Andy Lau, the unstoppable 刘德华,takes a page from the 周润发 and John Woo 呉宇森 playbook. He loads up a dozen or so Beretta 92's plus a bunch of spare high-cap mags, to go face his nemesis. A great touch for people who remember "A Better Tomorrow"  英雄本色。(1986.)   

Don't take the kids or your prudish Aunt Mabel. 

The version (中国大陆) I saw was in Chinese, but the language was understandable with the exception of some slang. Best seen on the big screen, not your mobile phone. A thoroughly-enjoyable summer film. It has my 5-star endorsement. 

• Like 2

The version I saw was the 中国大陆 version. Spoken track in Mandarin; subtitles in Simplified Chinese.

This film is nearing the end of its run, at least in Kunming. If you want to see it, better not wait long. 

17 hours ago, mungouk said:

Is the spoken track in Cantonese or Mandarin? 

Original is in Cantonese, which isn't surprising as it's a Hong Kong film. But as with most Hong Kong films, it's dubbed into mandarin for release on the mainland and Taiwan.

Thanks for the writeup @abcdefg, I'll watch this when it becomes more easily available (probably not going to be released for cinema here).