Chinese-Forums

Future of Safe Travels. Looking to employ in China

Safe Travels

Hello!

we are a team of Scandinavian Engineers that are working on an travel app. Our plan is to launch this app by the end of 2019 and make this launch worldwide. We are looking for student coworkers in America, England, Israel, Australia and China.

We are working organically and are looking to find students that are interested in working with this cause and also to get our last fundings for the worldwide launch. If you want to support safe travels you can visit our GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/f/1pou3fod6o?utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_na+share-sheet&rcid=89c1e00358374f6e9ced51bcebd6b2fb

the idea is to protect travelers and make your trip more safe. The core features will be:

- This would be an app that provides contact information for, and directions to, the nearest and most appropriate medical care facility, based on your current situation. On request, it would call for emergency services and provide them with your current GPS location. If you are in a car accident in Rio or Bangkok and you need any medical attention you normally wouldn't  known where to go or how to communicate with someone for help.

-This app would detail what your insurance at home and your travel insurance cover, highlighting the differences.  It would also list your prescriptions, blood type, allergies, etc., so that if you are unable to communicate, the first responders can pull it up.  Translation of the information into the local language would be an important feature.  Mid-emergency, this would be much more effective than saying, ‘Hey, guys, just a sec … let me leave my insurance company an email or voicemail and hope that with time difference they’ll get back to me soon.’” 

-This app would provide a list of prescription and OTC drugs available at the nearest pharmacy - clearing up the difference in brand names so that you can purchase the appropriate medication during an emergency overseas.  From your basic painkiller, to cold and allergy medication, we need to be able to purchase common medications without an expensive international medic fee.  Furthermore, many overseas stores sell medication over the counter that would require a prescription in the U.S.

- This app would scan and translate a foreign menu and identify possible allergens, negative drug interactions, or food poisoning risks.  It could also potentially identify dishes with high fat, salt, sugar, or gluten content.  Current apps, such as iTranslate - Photo to Text, already perform some aspects of the scan and translate functions.  The added value here would be integrating the dietary factors and the patient’s medical data.

If this is interesting for you and you live in China, please contact us. And for everyone, please make a small donation to help our cause!

best regards,

Safe Travel Team.

14 hours ago, Safe Travels said:

We are looking for student coworkers

14 hours ago, Safe Travels said:

This app would provide a list of prescription and OTC drugs available at the nearest pharmacy - clearing up the difference in brand names so that you can purchase the appropriate medication during an emergency overseas.

Two questions:

- It's not clear from your ad here whether this is a paid position.

- Do I understand correctly that you are hiring students to translate names of prescription drugs and not, say, experienced medical translators or at least bilingual doctors?

Will this app be free? 

15 hours ago, Safe Travels said:

- This app would scan and translate a foreign menu and identify possible allergens, negative drug interactions, or food poisoning risks.  It could also potentially identify dishes with high fat, salt, sugar, or gluten content

Also I don't think it will work well in China as often a dish name can give no indication of the actual ingredients and there is little standardisation over even simple dishes like vegetables as it may well be fried in peanut oil, even an apparently steamed vegetable can will have sesame oil drizzled on it.

The medical translation is a good one but I think if it's important to the parient (e.g allergies) you would want an qualified medical translation

• Helpful 1

15 hours ago, Safe Travels said:

This app would scan and translate a foreign menu and identify possible allergens, negative drug interactions, or food poisoning risks.  It could also potentially identify dishes with high fat, salt, sugar, or gluten content.  Current apps, such as iTranslate - Photo to Text, already perform some aspects of the scan and translate functions.  The added value here would be integrating the dietary factors and the patient’s medical data.

I think this is an impossible task and you would need to be very very careful what advice you give.

For example in China almost all dishes are cooked using peanut oil when fried, as someone who sufferers from a peanut allergy, I know this information would not be included in the name of the dish. 

The wrong information would not result in just a bad tummy, this could kill someone. 

Personally I would leave this out. You could find yourself in a lot of trouble if someone relies on it and there is a tragedy.

I agree you also need to clarify the position of any one you take on, is it paid? or voluntary?

I also think you should be using medically trained people to translate the medical information.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Safe Travels said:

The added value here would be integrating the dietary factors and the patient’s medical data.

It won't work, unfortunately. China is a vast country, chances for a certain food with the same name to be prepared the same way in Guizhou and Shandong province is next to zero, especially in terms of allergens.

• Helpful 2

On 8/6/2019 at 10:39 AM, Lu said:

Two questions:

- It's not clear from your ad here whether this is a paid position.

- Do I understand correctly that you are hiring students to translate names of prescription drugs and not, say, experienced medical translators or at least bilingual doctors?

Thanks for taking interested in this project!

it’s a paid position that we are advertising for. The pay will depend on your experiences and how far we have come with our fundings.

No. We receive our medical database from the pharmaceutical companies directly. We only put them all together so you can se the difference in brand names from for an example Pfizer (United States) and Sinopharm Group (China). There will of course be some medicine that will not be in this database but all of the major pharmaceuticals companies will be represented.

• Helpful 1

On 8/6/2019 at 11:34 AM, DavyJonesLocker said:

Will this app be free

On 8/5/2019 at 8:22 PM, Safe Travels said:

- This app would scan and translate a foreign menu and identify possible allergens, negative drug interactions, or food poisoning risks.  It could also potentially identify dishes with high fat, salt, sugar, or gluten content

Also I don't think it will work well in China as often a dish name can give no indication of the actual ingredients and there is little standardisation over even simple dishes like vegetables as it may well be fried in peanut oil, even an apparently steamed vegetable can will have sesame oil drizzled on it.

The medical translation is a good one but I think if it's important to the parient (e.g allergies) you would want an qualified medical translation

This will be a free app. That’s the reason we are crowdfunding it right now and also why it’s important for us to get a worldwide release. For us to be able to stay active we need to get users all around the world.

i absolutely se your point. The menu reader is the hardest part to achieve. It will of course not be a completely accurate scanner and that will be clarified. Something that we want is to be able to inform about different restaurant situations in different countries. For an example that in China they are heavy on the sesame oil. This will be possible through the information every governments “health institution” already provides us. So when you check in that you are in China or Australia for example you will se food related information about that country.

the medical translation will be directly from the pharmaceutical companies.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 12:07 PM, Shelley said:

I think this is an impossible task and you would need to be very very careful what advice you give.

For example in China almost all dishes are cooked using peanut oil when fried, as someone who sufferers from a peanut allergy, I know this information would not be included in the name of the dish. 

The wrong information would not result in just a bad tummy, this could kill someone. 

Personally I would leave this out. You could find yourself in a lot of trouble if someone relies on it and there is a tragedy.

I agree you also need to clarify the position of any one you take on, is it paid? or voluntary?

I also think you should be using medically trained people to translate the medical information.

You can read our previous answer for more information. But we agree, this is a hard function to include and that’s why we will focus more on information about the country. For an example, I am gluten intolerant and then I will find out that in Mexico they often have flour in their meat. We can’t guarantee anything but we can inform.

its a paid position.

the pharmaceutical companies translates directly the medical information.

On 8/6/2019 at 2:19 PM, ZhangKaiRong said:

won't work, unfortunately. China is a vast country, chances for a certain food with the same name to be prepared the same way in Guizhou and Shandong province is next to zero, especially in terms of allergens.

You can read our previous answers for more information. We will not guarantee anything but we can provide information that countries like China or Countries in Western Africa often have peanut based dishes.

We really appreciate that you have taken your time to respond on our post. The plan is that this app will be funded from our personal funds and crowdfunding to really create a product directly from the same people that will use it. That’s why we are not interested in any investment funding because they will likely not appreciate our way of starting a company.

we need to get this app on the worldwide market as fast as possible from the launch, when you have limited fundings you need early success. The goal is to reach a point where we have a strong enough brand that other companies will be interested in buying the app without adding any fees. We will never accept that this app will turn into another fast profit.

I realize you didn't come here for advice; you came here for volunteers and for donations. But this project seems way too broad in scope for you and your team to be able to do it properly, especially in the time frame you have set out. 

On 8/6/2019 at 3:22 AM, Safe Travels said:

Our plan is to launch this app by the end of 2019 and make this launch worldwide.

Have you thought about focusing on one small part of this array of services and trying to implement that first? You could then debug it and learn from real world response to make the launch of subsequent modules smoother and more effective.

• Like 2