Chinese-Forums

From zero to hero from no Chinese proficency to HSK 6 in one year!

Pandastic

Having just looked into this a bit myself - the resources for learning Chinese are SO MUCH BETTER than they were even 5 years ago, let alone 8-10 years ago.

Really surprised actually. No wonder people are getting their HSK 5s and 6s in such fast times.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mkmyers45 said:

What percentage of those in your class were able to pass the HSK 5 in two semesters?

Honestly no idea. After the first semester classes mix in the second semester. Tsinghua was and is popular so they have multiple classes at each level. Also, often students would skip levels at Tsinghua. 

I only knew a few students that came through with me that took HSK 5 after the two semesters. Most did 4. However, those few that did push for 5 did do it and they all had to in order to join a course. 

On 8/7/2019 at 7:33 PM, thechamp said:

Having just looked into this a bit myself - the resources for learning Chinese are SO MUCH BETTER than they were even 5 years ago, let alone 8-10 years ago.

Can you tell me then which materials should I use, or maybe send me to a website which it covers the material that should be helpful to learn ? 

It is possible to pass any kind of exam in limited time period but do realize that your path to proficiency in a foreign language has much more to do with mere test. If one-year preparation means a going through of paper of previous examination in first 3 months, focusing on the words and expressions up to the level required by the HSK6 in the rest 9 months and making related absorption of Chinese materials from perspective of reading and listening, a year is enough. It is not only adequate for the test but also makes you ready to every possible communication you come across with the local Chinese. This is exactly what the test asks from you.

I have seen so many Chinese students passing TEM8, English test for English major students, but they still couldn't manage a fluent communication with foreigners on the phone. And there are also many others passing IELTS with no particular review based on test, which is called 裸考. However, it doesn't mean they are not well prepared. It is just that they have made the application of English in IELTS level part of their daily life.

Mind the time Chinese related you spend every day and make Chinese part of your life. I don't doubt a rocketing improvement in Chinese if the learner has an aching need for this language and enthusiasm in expression in Chinese. It is possible to make it a must in your life if you are crazy enough about it, by setting any interface or system language as Chinese, making a certain Chinese website to your taste a home page, finding a Chinese pen pal to make daily communication in Chinese possible.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Enjune Zhang said:

It is not only adequate for the test but also makes you ready to every possible communication you come across with the local Chinese.

Except that HSK doesn't test you on speaking.

• Like 1

And certainly doesn't  prepare you for daily conversation in China . Words like  微信,支付宝  or anything related to apps (滴滴, 摩拜,抖音 ) don't  appear which are hugely  popular in modern Chinese society . Names of dishes don't feature much either. I seem to get asked daily 你今晚吃什么。

Naturally I wouldn't expect a language test to cover these topics ,nor HSK syllabus to include such words however it's more just to highlight that even if you flew past HSK 6 you could still struggle with everyday chit chat here in China. Although it wouldn't take long to get familiar with these popular conversations. 

Solely focusing on  HSK tests and you're like a  granny listening in on a millennial talking to their friends. She understands the language but no clue what they are on about. 

First year of studying Chinese I didn't hardly ventured outside , just stayed at home studying hard. A year later I could barely communicate. Decided that the text books were taking a back seat and I needed to actually talk to people. 

• Like 3

What's more, HSK is more about application of formal written Chinese, and as for the daily expression close to everyday life, you must go ask life itself instead of the test. For example, reading something posted on 微信 moments of your Chinese friend and articles on WeChat official account, or paying for the bill with 支付宝 Chinese version will be the recommend way to expose yourself to Chinese language environment. You may enjoy online shopping on 天猫or 京东, and I believe your Chinese will see a rapid progress once you have been trapped in something unpleasantly unexpected, like a wrong delivery of items, a size unfitted, etc, where you have to get to the seller in Chinese to get the right thing.

• 1 year later...