Chinese-Forums

modern FSI?

suMMit

You mean... a textbook? I'm not sure there's anything particularly unique about FSI, it's just a solid but dated textbook+audio combo, which happens to be available for free. There are plenty of newer textbook+audio options. 

Also the DeFrancis series is Traditional characters so is not popular with students of Mainland China learning simplified.

I have just flipped through a PDF of FSI and it doesn't use characters at all.

I have to say a solid modern textbook along these same lines is New Practical Chinese Reader or Integrated Chinese.

• Like 1

New Practical Chinese Reader has about 15- 20 minutes of audio and  the about 15 minutes of video for each lesson. 

I can't work how many hours that is. 

FSI is good for just learning to speak in intensive classroom situation from what I understand.

IIRC it is the method used for people going overseas for any number of reasons and need to be able communicate from the start, used by the army and diplomats etc.

NPCR works very well for the student who wants to self study and learn to read and write characters as well as speak, listen and understand.

Its all about what suits the individual student.

I guess i meant is FSI that good? and if it is solid and effective, it seems surprising that nobody has published something similar but updated. yes with tons of audio and drill drill drill

Well, probably the FSI language program is still running, so they must have updated material that isn't released into the public domain yet.

It might be possible to get second hand stuff if you have the right contacts.

Unfortunately I don't know any American diplomat...