Chinese-Forums

Characters on the bottom of a Porcelain Bucket c. 1900

NaytanDova

Hi there, I'm confident this is from somewhere around 1900. But with no way of reading the writing I need a little help. What do you think this says. 

Im not sure if it is Chinese or Japanese so it may be the case that nobody can help. But any help will send me in the right direction. 

Thanks and all the best

Nathan Lindop

IMG_20190814_150825.jpg

IMG_20190814_150402.jpg

IMG_20190814_150819.jpg

It is not written in a friendly recognizable way. I could only identify the first character for sure. While the last one could be 廷 送 or whatever. But given that 赠辞 will be attached to the bottom of china when it is sent as gift, so I guess it could be 送,which means given by sb. No sure about if it would be two characters or just one in the red frame.

QQ截图20190815084251.png

QQ截图20190815084728.png

• Like 1

@Publius Thank you for the answer that puts the puzzle to an end.

It is not necessary for every one to know the right answer before he or she could raise a voice in a forum. Just an open platform for open discussion.

But talking about the Japanese kanji, it totally escapes me even if it applies the same Chinese character with same meaning. It seems that something you may be familiar with could make you trip if it comes to you in the form or handwriting alien to you.

If you have any experience reading marks on ceramics, then this mark is clear as a bell. Indeed, it's pretty clear it's Kutani ware even without a mark.

The point is, raising groundless objections here to a reading simply wastes everyone's time. A quick Google Images search on "Kutani mark" before posting would have clarified any doubts.