Chinese-Forums

Anyone know where to find the China coast guard regulations for small water craft?

vellocet

I'm trying to find the coast guard regulations for small water craft.  What they must have on board, life jackets, flares, first aid kit, etc.  The search results are hopelessly muddled between articles about the dispute in the South China Sea and US coast guard regulations.  I asked local friends for help and just got the website of the local water board.  Anyone know where to find these?

Wait! How's this for the start of the trail. 2008 safety regulations for 游艇, issued by the Ministry of Transport. Having  had only a very quick glance, it looks like this assumes you are registered with a 游艇俱乐部 and I wonder if this is / was the only option. I also wonder if the fishery authorities 渔政 might have something. 

I can't see anything specific about safety gear. I suspect that might be implemented via local regulations at the city / province level. 

29 minutes ago, 889 said:

I think they just prohibit deep linking.

So much for the 信息查询公开 in the url...

• Like 1

Here's something from Hainan. "游艇安全管理" and your locality seems to be the search term you need. 

Edit:

第八条 申请游艇操作人员适任证书,应当符合下列条件:
  (二)视力、色觉、听力、口头表达、肢体健康等符合航行安全的要求;

That'd make a fun language exam. Even the old 高级 HSK didn't involve the risk of being run over by a bulk ore carrier if you got your 左 / 右 confused.

• Like 2

Oh, coolio.  Lots of laowai have drivers licenses and even motorocycle licenses, but who has a boat license?  The next holy grail.

"关于游艇和摩托艇的区别,有种说法是,艇长5米以下的为摩托艇,艇长超过5米的为游艇。"

I'm a motorboat, not a yacht.  Fortunately.  It seems a lot of regulations apply to yachts, while not so much for motorboats.  

13 hours ago, roddy said:

Scroll down for pictures of vellocet's private yacht.

Ha, ha, ha, I wish.  I have a 12' jonboat with crappy little Hangkai engine and I'm hoping to find out the proper regulations because as soon as someone notices there's this laowai cruising around, I'm gonna get boarded by the coast guard and I better be shipshape when they do.  I got a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, they don't seem to sell flares on Taobao, and I don't know what else it is they expect on board.  

• Like 1

Not to suggest the obvious, but isn't this the sort of thing that calls for visit to the Coast Guard? Not just for the general rules, but also because it's common in China for some offices of some bureaus to impose their own local rules you won't find in the books.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 889 said:

Not to suggest the obvious, but isn't this the sort of thing that calls for visit to the Coast Guard?

Sure.  Where's their office?  What are the hours?  How do I find the responsible department that has the rules?  How do I convince them to give me a set of them, when they'll completely ignore what I'm asking for and instead play "ask the laowai 1000 questions"?  

You really have to look past the surface level, people.  

I did.  Apparently nobody knows what the rules are so nobody follows them.  However, we can expect whatever rules there are to be immediately enforced against the laowai as soon as anyone realizes I'm out there.  The best I got was the web address of the local water board.

• 2 months later...

Yeah I bought a little 12' jonboat and cruise around the canals.  Wenzhou is pretty unusual in that the city waterways are open to private boats.  Most cities are closed entirely.  It's Wenzhou's long history of dragon boats that does it.  It's pretty cool cruising around, it's a side of the city I've never seen before.  All sorts of things go on on the water that you'd never know about.  Under some of the bridges are these cool murals that you can never see unless you're on the water.  The boat's tied up under a bridge for now, though, getting too cold.  I have to stop adopting seasonal hobbies that require good weather.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, vellocet said:

I have to stop adopting seasonal hobbies that require good weather.

Perhaps for your next hobby, consider one that requires bad weather, so you're set year-round.