Chinese-Forums

Registration at an AirBnB in China

Wahed

On 8/14/2019 at 4:59 AM, DavyJonesLocker said:

Remember to register with the local police within 24 hours. Don't over look this, China is nowhere near as sloppy in this regard  as it used to be . There is a lot of crackdown on foreigner going on across China. I had police turn up at my door twice wanted to see all documents.

FYI, there is no need to do this for Airbnb. Their systems are connected.

I'm just going to play it safe and do a wire transfer. It's expensive but should be much safer.

Moderator note: Thread split from here because this important topic will be easier to find in its own dedicated thread. - Lu

Just now, abcdefg said:

Are you sure? If so that's a very recent change.

I'm absolutely positive. I asked twice just to be sure when I was there last month and after I made my reservations. Also, this has been in effect for almost two years or more iirc:

https://time.com/5221666/airbnb-china-share-data-chinese-government/

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Just because they provide data to the police doesn't necessarily mean they are doing the required registration itself. Airlines provide passenger information to immigration, but you still have to present your passport at the desk. I'd look into this a bit more thoroughly.

There is and will always be an air of uncertainty regarding the enforcement of laws in China. I've done my due diligence on this matter to my satisfaction, so I'm not worried in the least bit. However, if something should happen, I will be sure to post updates here to caution others.

5 hours ago, Wahed said:

I asked twice just to be sure when I was there last month and after I made my reservations.

Who did you ask exactly?

Last time I enquired with 3 separate Airnbnb hosts in Beijing, earlier this year, none of them were willing to do the PSB registration. 

The article linked to doesn't definitively state that the system is now automatic, and in fact there has been plenty of discussion here on the topic already.

4 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Might consider AirBnB now ! 

Presumably this is a moot point for anyone already with a residence permit, since you're already registered with your local PSB?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mungouk said:

Presumably this is a moot point for anyone already with a residence permit, since you're already registered with your local PSB?

Holidays, for myself within China, or family members coming over to visit etc, 

2 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Holidays, for myself within China

Yes, I was thinking the same. 

And since we're already here with an RP we wouldn't need to register again on holiday in China, would we?

(Sure, hotels do it by default if you're a foreigner, but if you have an RP it wouldn't strictly be necessary... or am I missing something?)