Chinese-Forums

Picking Chinese name...

Ema

Hi All,

Since I am a westerner and I study Chinese, I am currently undergoing the hard task of choosing a Chinese name for myself. The last thing I want to do is to simply translate my Italian name in Chinese... instead, I want to pick up a name that really sounds Chinese. My passion for Cinese culture led me to buy an old book that aims at leading the reader to choose an auspicious Chinese name based on zodiac, yin/yang, binomials etc. After some study and attempts, I came up to what sounds to me like a fair name, but I would really like to hear from any Chinese native speaker if, to your ears, this sounds like a good name for a male.

So, here we go: the surname is (Bo1), given name 傲蟀 (Ao2 Shuai4) - I  really liked the idea of having both a character that reminds of the cricket, with its fighting spirit and good fortune meaning, and a character that conveys the meaning of being proud.

Does this sound like a nice/good/fair name to you?

I really appreciate any feedback you may give me.

Thank you!

Best.

Emanuele 

• New Members

Dear Emanuele 

Wave (Bo1), given name
Really not a nice and interesting name.
How to make corrections based on your two words, you can consider using

傲帥
This is the same name for a male character. It has the meaning of being proud and handsome.
For your reference

Ming
Ming13524134651@Gmail.com
Www.getcnname.com

I have to second @abcdefg 's suggestion of getting your Chinese teacher or Chinese friends to help you choose a name. They will know you well enough to pick something suitable for your personality and something that is appropriate and correct as far as the "Chinese-ness" of it.