Chinese-Forums

Living in Shanghai

windstopper

Hi guys,

I have to go work in Shanghai for couple of months and i don't speak chinese. I am currently trying to learn it intensively. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to meeting people and the city in general.

Need to keep myself busy for three months.

Thanks

NV

Thank you for the link. I found many useful information in it.

I will probably try to meet up with other expat or students. I am just 24 so i think i can blend in.

It is going to be hard for me to hang out with my coworkers because they don't speak english, there a lot older than i am and they are all from the opposite sex.

It is going to be hard for me to hang out with my coworkers because they don't speak english, there a lot older than i am and they are all from the opposite sex.

If they are educated they possibly will be able to speak basic English. Whether they have the confidence at the start to converse with you or not is a different matter.

Even if they don't speak English, the locals will be more than willing to hang around with you. Being seen with a foreigner is a status symbol in China. They will also tee someone up who can translate on their behalf as most Chinese are curious and want to ask westerners questions.

Should have also said that sex and age will also not be a barrier. The Chinese tend to bridge the generation gap better than in the west as the elderly often live with their children and grandchildren. As a result, they are more in the know that may elderly westerners.