Chinese-Forums

HSK - One year preparation for degrees in Chinese

Mavi

• New Members

Hi Everyone,

So I plan to apply for CSC scholarship to do a Master in international trade IN CHINESE LANGUAGE.  I already got Confucious scholarship for one year of Chinese. Last year I passed  HSK4  (230 points) and now I plan to give HSK 5. My question is the following: if I apply to CSC with HSK5, do I get the Chinese preparation year before I start the master program?. I believe that HSK its just a paper, even tho you pass HSK5 doesn't mean that you will understand everything in class, so I really would like to be able to have one year preparation.  
In case that HSK5 holders can't get that Chinese year, you think I should give HSK 4 again to get a higher grade and apply with HSK 4 so I get that year?

I will apply from my embassy btw.

Thanks in advance for your help

From my experience, Chinese universities will assess your Chinese skills based on your HSK score and interview performance in order to determine whether to give you one year of preparatory Chinese. I have a friend who has HSK4 but her school doesn't offer her Chinese preparatory course because she performed well in interview.

14 hours ago, Mavi said:

so I really would like to be able to have one year preparation.  

No idea about the uni scene but if the one prep course is an option by the university , and your worried about not being offered it because your Chinese level is sufficient, can't you downplay you Chinese and avoid taking the HSK5 for the time being?

6 minutes ago, Huyenlala said:

I have a friend who has HSK4 but her school doesn't offer her Chinese preparatory course because she performed well in interview.

How did she get on doing a degree through Chinese, with only HSK 4? Seems like it's huge hill to climb! 

From my experience this year, the prep course of chinese was given to you if you didint submit the HSK level your target uni requires. I needed HSK 5 and submitted HSK 4, but I looked beforehand weather my target uni did offer this one year prep course, cause there are unis that dont offer this.

21 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

How did she get on doing a degree through Chinese, with only HSK 4? S

l just met someone who submitted HSK4 for master in chinese at Tsinghua, she was accepted and was not given the prep year due to that master only required that level, its an enginering btw.

So, I agree with davyjones, if you submit HSK 5 and thats the level you are required, they will not grant you the one year prep course. Unless you submit hsk 5 and you are required the 6 XD

anyway, goodluck!