Chinese-Forums

Structure of a long complex sentence

Huyenlala

Hey guys, I can't get the structure of the following sentence, can someone kindly break it down for me?

“请大家先来看一个有关耐克运动鞋产品披露信息有误背后所牵扯出的商品双重标准的问题”

Thanks in advance!

请大家先来看

一个有关耐克运动鞋产品

披露信息

有误背后所牵扯出的商品

双重标准的问题

One of the Forum's several "grammar pros" will be along shortly to give you a better answer. 

• Like 1

I'd go this way:

请大家先来看一个...问题

What sort of 问题, one 有关 the existence of 商品双重标准的 that was 牵扯出 from the 背后 of a situation where the 披露信息 of 耐克运动鞋产品 有误, i.e. the error in that disclosure implies the existence of double standards if you look behind that.

• Like 3

Yea thats the sort of really long sentence that often seems to appear in news reports and things and screws with my head too.

I think Jim has explained it mostly fine but I think I can add a little. 

So yea its like he said. first its basically 请大家看一个有关。。。什么什么的问题。

So the main idea problem here is this.

耐克运动鞋产品露信息有误所牵扯出的商品双重标准

I think the first thing you can probably look at is this "耐克运动鞋产品露信息有误"

Now I had to ask a Chinese person for help on this because I wasn't sure exactly what the 有误 meant, did it mean that the 信息披露 was wrong? As in it SHOULDN'T have happened, or did it mean the 信息 that was 泄露 had errors in, apparently its the second. So this section kinda reads like

耐克运动鞋产品露信息 "The errors contained in the information that was leaked (about/regarding?) Nike shoe products"

背后 is more like the situation, or "With the errors blahblah as a background" or what we can see behind this situation, it doesn't really translate that well into English.

Then you have 所牵扯出的商品双重标准 which is kind of like "The issues of product double standards that have been dragged out"

耐克运动鞋产品露信息有误所牵扯出的商品双重标准的  So this whole sentence is kind of like "The issues of product double standards observable in the situation of the errors in the leaked information regarding Nike Shoe products have brought to the surface"

Its a mouthful in English and this sort of crap always gives me a headache too.

• Like 1

@RichS I'm guessing it was a disclosure rather than a leak, going by the logic that if a company makes a disclosure containing errors that might well imply it's employing double standards or up to some sort of shenanigans at least, i.e. saying one thing to you while doing another elsewhere. Of course, you could imagine scenarios where other interpretations fit, so with the little we have to go on here certainly not claiming that's definitely correct, just seems most likely.

Not a fan of this sentence, but here are my thoughts:

I might be tempted to initially think it's 一個有關...的問題, but that doesn't quite make sense. I would propose something else...

Clues:

1. 牽扯出 is often followed by "問題" as its object.

2. if the phrase modifying the question was just 耐克運動鞋產品披露信息有誤背後所牽扯出的商品雙重標準, where should we place the omitted 的s and then what would this even mean?  The translation RichS provided reads a bit like gibberish to me.

So I'd actually parse it this way:

请大家先来看[一个有关耐克运动鞋产品披露信息有误]背后所牵扯出的商品双重标准的问题

First everybody please take a look at the issue of product double standards that arises from [a Nike runners product disclosure containing errors].

Or something like that.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 9:43 AM, Huyenlala said:

“请大家先来看一个有关耐克运动鞋产品披露信息有误背后所牵扯出的商品双重标准的问题”

1、First,get the point.

请大家看一个问题

2、Second,what kind of problem?

商品双重标准的问题

3、Third,source of problem?

有关耐克运动鞋产品披露信息有误

4、So,there two parts of attribute about problem

商品双重标准的问题 and 有关耐克运动鞋产品披露信息有误