Chinese-Forums

best place for household goods?

Wahed

Those without bedding usually really need bedding. I’d just go to IKEA and get a basic set until you find some in China that spark joy. 

I also kind of a agree with Davy that lots of shop people will just tell you whatever they think will make you buy what they have. In China I find this more so than back home. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 10:49 AM, suMMit said:

I could talk about the price, color but my assessment of the quality would be visual and feeling it

If you need a benchmark for cotton bedding, look for thread count. Generally, the higher it is, the higher the quality — and price of course.

To the OP: As many others have already said, it's hard to beat IKEA on quality and price, plus their website works in both English and Chinese, so you can browse before you buy.  They even deliver to most large cities in China now, so you can shop online if you need to, and you're sure of what you're buying.

Surely you're not overly-worried about their designs being "drab" when you're buying bedsheets and pillowcases?  If you want non-drab get a bedspread! ;-) 

Their mattresses are also exceptionally good value, especially if you don't want an Asian-style "firm" one that's like sleeping on a concrete slab (IMHO!).  When I arrived in Beijing I bought the exact same pocket-sprung one I had in Singapore previously (which I sold to a friend), and it was half the price I paid in Singapore. 

Caveat: The IKEA I've been to in Beijing (at Siyuanqiao) has been unbelievably busy... I was there yesterday, on a Monday at 3pm, and it was rammed!  Maybe because it's the last week of the school holidays, but wow I was glad I didn't go on Sunday.  Also everyone seems to go mad for the restaurant. 

加油!

On 8/26/2019 at 5:37 AM, Luscious said:

so we need to take beddings? Nothing has been explained to me. 

Unless you have way more than 30kg luggage allowance, and hardly any clothes to squeeze into your suitcase, bringing bedding with you to China wouldn't be a sensible option.

Just buy it when you arrive.  Same for toiletries/cosmetics and other easily-available heavy items, unless you're certain that they're not available in China. 

Once you've been in the situation at the airport check-in where you're moving to another country but they decide you need to pay ridiculous $$$ or dispose of a large proportion of your possessions into a big plastic bag (in front of all the queueing passengers) you will decide you never want to do this ever again in your life. 

• Helpful 1

I can now say that I've finally found the places that my teacher was referring to when we initially we discussing household goods in China. Just go to the biggest supermarket you can find wherever you are and they should have what you need. Today, I was able to get my bedsheets, pillow, and blanket for under 400 rmb! I didn't see any prices like that at IKEA and the design/quality is not bad at all so far. I was very pleasantly surprised and am glad to have finally taken care of this. I got everything in one big swoop (broom, mop, cleaning supplies, etc.) and some Durian!

@Luscious Despite the above, if I could go back, I would most definitely bring bedding with me. Even though, I'm happy with the above purchase, it in no way compares to what I use at home. For the other issue mentioned, I see no reason why you would have to pay money on bedding. I've never had to pay money on absolutely anything in my baggage in my entire life and I have traveled to many countries (I think I'm at my sixth trip to China). Also, as far as I know, bedding is not heavy unless you have the traditional very nice styles. I'd put it in a duffle bag and bring it all with me (pillows too).

In any case, I can't stress enough to really shop around. Ask here, ask there and then ask some more. China is a huge place and many times even the locals don't know a particular place that well. I had to ask close to 60 people before I finally was able to find what I was looking for. Almost everyone said IKEA but I just knew that cheaper options existed and I finally found them in the end. May not be worth the hassle but it was for me, it only took me about three days.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

9 minutes ago, Wahed said:

I see no reason why you would have to pay money on bedding. I've never had to pay money on absolutely anything in my baggage in my entire life and I have traveled to many countries

If it goes into your check-in baggage, and you go over your weight limit (e.g. 30kg, possibly less) then you will pay serious money for that privilege.

Have you never been stung like this?  If so then you are lucky because it will cost you a LOT of money when it happens.

And decent bedding is really heavy!  Especially if it's better quality (e.g. linen). 

Trust me, I've spent way too much time the night before a flight with my scales, deciding what I can take and what I have to leave behind.  Every time I end up leaving stuff behind I wanted to take.

Going on holiday is one thing; moving to another country is a whole different game...

9 minutes ago, Wahed said:

put it in a duffle bag and bring it all with me (pillows too).

Most of the major airlines limit you to 7kg carry-on baggage, and this is supposed to fit within certain dimensions so you don't over-fill the overhead lockers.  Maybe you've been mostly flying with airlines that don't enforce that too much?

I always weigh my baggage at home, this will take care of this issue.

I've been slightly over-weight a few times but I've never had to pay (yet). I either transfer the weight around or just be polite and they don't mind.

Linen can be heavy but there are many different types of high quality bedding materials that are light and luxurious. But that's just my preference, I'd take my bedding with me. Or if my bedding was too heavy, I'd buy something new that's lighter and take that with me.

Well guys, you all have your own priorities and you make your own choices.

I hope your new adventure works out as you hoped.   

These forums are full of excellent advice, but be aware that things can change really quickly in China.

Enjoy!