Chinese-Forums

Sichuan province, own car, during natl holiday

suMMit

I'm considering a little road trip in Sichuan over the natl holiday period. I would take the soft sleeper ip from GZ, rent a car in Chengdu and drive(I have a Chinese license and have done this several times). I was thinking about Siguniang. Do you think this place would be crowded during the holiday, or is it off the beaten track/far enough away to be ok? Any other recommended uncrowded places in Sichuan? I have not been to the province at all before. I am not interested in Jiuzhaigou during the holiday period. Looking for places that would not be crowded.

How much time do you have?  W Sichuan is well worth the effort. A long trip would be to Dege via Kangding. But there are shorter possibilities.

If you head to Dege, remember your car will have to be able to take the 5050m Que'er Pass.

(I was there during the May holiday once, and while crowds were not a problem, the Dege Parkhang was closed.)

Can't help with the holiday plans however I would suggest you book you car asap especially over the holiday week. Many cars are rented out  so your often stuck with selecting from the higher end range at 500,600  a day. I've been caught out on this before (twice)

I just prebooked a borgward (宝沃) yesterday for Hainan. It's not bad, hired it 3 times before so I just stick with what I know. It's an SUV but more  mums bringing kids to school style rather than real off roader. The BX5 is not bad , the bx7 is 4WD

• Like 1

@DavyJonesLocker Yeah, I booked it yesterday, 260/day. But I was considering to change to SUV 300/day. Thats funny, Hainan was the other place I was considering. The flights from GZ were kinda pricey, sleeper trains sold out and as for driving from GZ, I am unsure about the ferry schedule/whether it'd be booked out. Whereas there's a soft sleeper to Chengdu for 875.

@DavyJonesLocker Turns out Im hoing to hainan afterall?. My wife heard on the news that there was some kind of earthquake in sichuan and sh wont go lol. I figure its ok anyway, i can save it for when i have more time. 

I rechecked flights to HN and i got a crack of dawn flight on 28th for 650 to haikou!  Car 169 plus insurance. I am just hoping traffic is not crazy?

3 hours ago, suMMit said:

I rechecked flights to HN and i got a crack of dawn flight on 28th for 650 to haikou!  Car 169 plus insurance. I am just hoping traffic is not crazy?

Damm that's a good deal! 

We always have to go on the 2nd or so and flights are soooo much more expensive