Chinese-Forums

What is the format of the online HSKK?

winter

I’ll soon be doing the computer-based HSKK Intermediate. Could someone who has done it explain:

-Whether you can see the section 2 and 3 questions right from the introductory audio (as you would with a paper-based exam)? I’m wondering if I could immediately start preparing for these as soon as the exam starts.

-How you can take notes during the preparation time. Are you allowed to scribble on a blank piece of paper? Or do you have to type notes somewhere on the screen?

When I did last year it they gave us a blank sheet of paper to make notes on.

If I remember correctly we weren't able to move between the sections on the computer.   I'm pretty sure.

There are a few threads already on here that may be of use: 

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/57456-hskk-intermediate

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/57184-advice-for-hskk-intermediate/

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/20933-taking-the-hsk-already-taken-it-report-in-here/page/23/

• 1 month later...

So I did the exam (computer-based HSKK intermediate). To help those doing it in the future, some notes:

• I got let into the exam room half an hour before the exam. I had to find the computer set up for me with my name on a sticker on it, enter my number, test the provided headset and microphone (the microphone didn't work so they swapped it), and then wait for 25 minutes or so while a timer counted down to the scheduled start time.
  • Even though it's computerised and you sign in with your number, they still have you state your name, nationality and number at the start, and they still barely give you enough time to state your number - you have to be ready to read it out really quickly!
  • The intro music has vastly improved from the old HSK and HSKK intro music you'll hear in most practice exams - it's really nice now. (Same with the HSK as well.)
  • In the listen and repeat section, after each sentence if played there's a pause of a couple of seconds, and then a bell sound. You're not supposed to repeat the sentence until you hear the bell. (I know some practice exam audio has the bell and some doesn't.)
  • Maybe practice the listen and repeat section with distracting audio in the background - there were two other people doing HSKK exams at the same time as me (one doing beginner and one doing advanced) and even though they seated us as far apart in the classroom as possible I could still hear them talking during the listen and repeat section and it really threw me off.
  • You can't see the section 2 and 3 questions until after the "listen and repeat" questions finish and the 10 minute prep time starts - the buttons to get to them are disabled. Once the prep time starts the 4 questions are on 4 different pages - you need to click between them.
  • I asked the supervisor while waiting if I was allowed paper to take notes on during the 10 minutes prep time. She seemed really unsure but eventually said I could write on the back of my exam entry ticket as long as I handed it in at the end. She wouldn't give me additional paper. This was a bit inconvenient because I'd been preparing with 2 A4 sides as in the written version.
  • Thankfully on the screen for each question there is space to type notes. You can type in either English or Chinese using the Pinyin input method (there is an option to change the input language in the bottom right corner, just like with the HSK).
  • HOWEVER, I discovered that entering notes on the computer is unreliable. For one question I entered a lot of detailed notes, switched to the next question and entered notes there, and when I switched back to the previous one it had wiped all my entered notes! Thankfully it retained them in the subsequent question. I don't think I did anything wrong - it seemed to be a bug in the software. I ultimately had to mostly just make up stuff on the spot for that answer, and it didn't flow so well as a result. Hopefully this was just a freak one-off problem that just happened to me, but if you want to be safe try to write notes using pen-and-paper, or do a non-computer exam.
  • Unlike the paper exam and some of the practice exams, there is no 10 second warning before the end of the 2 minute questions. There's a countdown on the screen and you have to monitor it and time your answer appropriately.
  • For the very last question the timer is a bit confusing - it starts at something like 2:10 and as it counts down you think you have more time than you really have. The final 10 seconds or so have a voice telling you to stop and thanking you for doing the exam. Be ready for that and plan on finishing your last answer accordingly - don't go to the very end of the displayed timer or you'll get abruptly cut off!
  • Helpful 3

22 hours ago, winter said:

there were two other people doing HSKK exams at the same time as me (one doing beginner and one doing advanced) and even though they seated us as far apart in the classroom as possible I could still hear them

Sounds pretty good... when I took mine there were about 30 of us in the room and it was chaos.  I could barely hear myself, never mind being able to concentrate.

Where did you take the test?  Good luck with the result!

Not at the lower levels. 

At the beginner level the sentences for listen-and-repeat are very short — 15 questions in 6 minutes, and for intermediate there are 10 longer sentences in 5 minutes.

But for advanced level you have to do listen-and-recount, in which you have to paraphrase what you heard, doing 3 questions in 8 minutes.

https://hsk-crestar.com.sg/hskk/