Chinese-Forums

that time of year again! mooncakes

DavyJonesLocker

well, its come around again.

Will you be buying any? Buying a good one is so hit or miss but I will no doubt yet again have a hunt for a few. Curiosity gets the better of me at times!

I think the higher the price just means more fancy packaging 

9 hours ago, mungouk said:

We all got a beautifully-presented box of various flavours at work as a gift, but I won't be going anywhere near these calorie-bombs.

They really are calorie intense although I'd try them as you can find some really nice ones mixed in with some pretty bad ones. 

I wonder of all the moon cakes sold , how many are actually eaten.

10 hours ago, mungouk said:

What to do with them?  Seems a shame to bin them.

Re-gift them. I pass most of mine on. Pretty packaging and an ornate tin seems to be more important than the culinary contents. 

The most popular ones here in Kunming are made with Yunnan Ham 宣威火腿。I usually buy a single one of those at a bakery, just wrapped in plain paper. 嘉华 bakery does a good job. It's a local chain. 

I read recipes for these on-line last year. Very rich; very calorie-dense. Not worth it for me. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, suMMit said:

It never ceases to amaze me how much they weigh.

That's because they are full of sugar and fat plus other rich fillings. Egg yolk, nuts, and so on. 

They go straight from your stomach to your left anterior descending coronary artery (LAD), bypassing the small and large intestines. 

• Like 3

Good if you trying to bulk up in the gym I suppose and get those calories in. ?

On average I find them just passable but generally I quite like trying new flavours, tastes on food. I had a 小龙虾 one yesterday. Was advertised as a moon cake.  You pop it in the microwave for 20secs and was pretty good actually. This is JingDong own store (7 Fresh) who generally do posher stuff.

The problem around my area is that anything sold as single ones can be pretty grim or so loaded with sugar and cheap fat, fake flavours that it's inedible. However I don't want to pay for fancy packaging for better ones

Beijing has a famous bakery called 稻香村 。 They might had some decent ones

Love them, but can only finish half a cake due to the high sugar content (or rather, I limit myself to half a cake, making use of all the self-discipline years of daily language learning has yielded). There are usually only two brands to choose from here, a Southeast Asia production and a Hong Kong one. We get the Hong Kong brand box.

Last year they didn't have the lotus flavored version, hope they do this year.

• 5 weeks later...
  • New Members

Today I found a good recipe for mooncakes so I'll try to make them myself. It is true that they are real "calorie bombs", but if you are exercising regularly and eating healthy, few more calories once a week won't make any difference.

Do not bulk on mooncakes and cookies because you need muscle mass, not fat. Mooncakes bulk = bad bulk.