Chinese-Forums

Zoom videoconferencing down in China

mungouk

For those of you who use Zoom rather than Skype for videoconferencing and online lessons, FYI zoom.us is currently unreachable from mainland China supposedly due to a DNS issue, so you are unable to connect unless you use a VPN:

1984416561_Screenshot2019-09-09at14_17_30.thumb.png.0a63b773f65360934d3addeb37cb2783.png

(https://status.zoom.us/)

Hopefully this "DNS issue" will be resolved and doesn't turn out to be pre-October 1st paranoia (or worse) resulting in it being blocked.

Skype is currently still working for me, but I find I get better connections with Zoom.

• Helpful 1

• 2 months later...

Well, it took a while, but Zoom is now working again.

EDIT: "working"?  Well...

It seems they've added new features for China including mobile number verification which may or may not work (via a PIN code).

But the "chat" button is greyed out and says it's been "disabled by your admin".

So my teacher and couldn't manage to get a "meeting" going. Shame because it was always much better quality than Skype when we used it, and the screen sharing worked better/used less CPU.  

There's also a zoom.com.cn website now which has all the official-looking numbers at the bottom of the page.

Oh well... still hopeful.

• Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did Zoom ever end up working again? I just found out that the online Uni I study at is changing to Zoom next semester (half way through the degree), and the lecturer even mentioned when she tried to test it in China it just didn't connect. 

I don't know... I tried it again with my teacher a couple of days ago but she couldn't get it to work.

There's now a mobile phone verification step when you start up the program (presumably just the first time), and she was unable to receive the PIN code.

I received it and verified my account no problem. 

I can see when my teacher's online, but when I initiate a call she can see it but not accept it.  Similarly when she sees me in the contact list, the MEET button is greyed out.

I only actually have one contact, my teacher, so that's as far as I can go right now.

• 5 weeks later...

After 6 weeks I just got a reply from Zoom support about the chat button being greyed out:

Thank you for contacting Zoom Support! I am so sorry for the delay in our response to your email! At this time, the chat is disabled in China. I am so sorry for the inconvenience. We plan to make it available, however, there is no timeline to when it will be available. 

• 1 year later...

Yes, I've been using Zoom for work meetings and for Chinese classes within the mainland and overseas since at least October 2020 with no issues.

I find it generally has better connectivity than Skype, i.e less freezing, dropped calls etc.

FWIW my teacher still can't initiate a meeting for some reason, but I can.  So we do it that way.

The chat feature works fine, and I appreciate the setting to auto-save the chat as a text file when you quit a "meeting", since in my lessons it tends to be full of vocab and explanations my teacher has written.

• Helpful 1