Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
mungouk

Zoom videoconferencing down in China

mungouk

For those of you who use Zoom rather than Skype for videoconferencing and online lessons, FYI zoom.us is currently unreachable from mainland China supposedly due to a DNS issue, so you are unable to connect unless you use a VPN:

1984416561_Screenshot2019-09-09at14_17_30.thumb.png.0a63b773f65360934d3addeb37cb2783.png

(https://status.zoom.us/)

Hopefully this "DNS issue" will be resolved and doesn't turn out to be pre-October 1st paranoia (or worse) resulting in it being blocked.

Skype is currently still working for me, but I find I get better connections with Zoom.

• Helpful 1

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

mungouk

Well, it took a while, but Zoom is now working again.

EDIT: "working"?  Well...

It seems they've added new features for China including mobile number verification which may or may not work (via a PIN code).

But the "chat" button is greyed out and says it's been "disabled by your admin".

So my teacher and couldn't manage to get a "meeting" going. Shame because it was always much better quality than Skype when we used it, and the screen sharing worked better/used less CPU.  

There's also a zoom.com.cn website now which has all the official-looking numbers at the bottom of the page.

Oh well... still hopeful.

• Helpful 1

mackie1402

Did Zoom ever end up working again? I just found out that the online Uni I study at is changing to Zoom next semester (half way through the degree), and the lecturer even mentioned when she tried to test it in China it just didn't connect. 

mungouk

I don't know... I tried it again with my teacher a couple of days ago but she couldn't get it to work.

There's now a mobile phone verification step when you start up the program (presumably just the first time), and she was unable to receive the PIN code.

I received it and verified my account no problem. 

I can see when my teacher's online, but when I initiate a call she can see it but not accept it.  Similarly when she sees me in the contact list, the MEET button is greyed out.

I only actually have one contact, my teacher, so that's as far as I can go right now.