Chinese-Forums

Forget everything you know: English is a dialect of Chinese

mungouk

https://shanghai.ist/2019/09/05/this-group-of-scholars-have-concluded-that-english-is-actually-a-chinese-dialect/

Impossible to believe that such a claim would've gone through any real peer review process, but I'm interested to know why any genuine academics would think it a good idea to make such an outlandish statement...

This group of scholars has concluded that English is actually a Chinese dialect
They've also found that all Western culture and technology really came from China

If you speak English, you are actually speaking Chinese, according to one group of unconventional scholars who argue that all Western language and culture derives from the Middle Kingdom.

Last month, the First China International Frontier Education Summit was held in Beijing. At the meeting, the World Civilization Research Associaton (世界文明研究促進會) was founded by a group of Chinese scholars who presented their China-centric research to the world for the first time.

• “Yellow” comes from the Chinese words for “falling leaves,” 叶落pronounced yelou.
  • “Shop” comes from the Chinese word 商铺 pronounced shangpu, meaning the same thing.
  • “Heart” comes from the Chinese word 核心 pronounced hexin, meaning “core.”

真幽默。

A Chinese equivalent of the Flat Earth Society? The Internet has made it easier for people to convince themselves that the Earth is flat, so why not anything else that makes people feel good. Now, I wouldn't be too surprised if they published a new estimate of the length of the longest continuous civilization in history -- 13.782 billion years.

These people then migrated westward and lived as primitive barbarians until contact again with China brought them out of their long dark age. Zhai says that prior to the 15th and 16th centuries, Europe had no history, only myths and legends, claiming that the ancient civilizations of Greece, Egypt, and Rome were all fabrications to cover up this humiliating past. He says that Confucius was the patron saint of what is called the Reinassance.

Damm that's a good cover up, did the Chinese build the colosseum and the Parthenon too?

Can you get a PhD in "making stuff up""

On 9/9/2019 at 9:17 PM, carlo said:

A Chinese equivalent of the Flat Earth Society?

I can't work out if these people are just massive internet trolls, desperately speaking 5 mins YouTube fame, or genuinely believe it, 

Du Gangjian is a law prof, with no formal education in history or linguistics, who has written an entire book that essentially posits China as the cradle of Indo-European civilization. He is a total moron. You can find the book online I think it’s called something like 文明源頭與大同世界

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 6:12 AM, mungouk said:

Impossible to believe that such a claim would've gone through any real peer review process, but I'm interested to know why any genuine academics would think it a good idea to make such an outlandish statement...

It's ironic;  People who have never had to deal with the peer review process and don't understand how to critically analyze academic literature all worship the peer review process, whereas people have had to go through peer review realize it is mostly just smoke and mirrors.  No honest academic is surprised when ridiculous, unsubstantiated research passes peer review (especially when there are political motives behind it)

23 hours ago, 重大雷雨 said:

No honest academic is surprised when ridiculous, unsubstantiated research passes peer review (especially when there are political motives behind it)

This definitely does not reflect my experience with the peer review process. Perhaps we are just from entirely different academic communities.

47 minutes ago, 陳德聰 said:

This definitely does not reflect my experience with the peer review process. Perhaps we are just from entirely different academic communities.

What area have you  published or attempted to publish research in?  I am in bio where 2/3 of all peer reviewed research cannot be reproduced. People make careers out of disproving papers that generated false conclusions, but were accepted as fact after passing the peer review process.

I have seen similar poor quality papers routinely pass peer review in many other disciplines too.  No matter how rigorous the editors are, it is impossible to catch many of the errors in these papers.  And often, they will let errors slide if it is politically expedient to do so (I am guessing this is what happened with the paper that started this thread)

• Like 1