Chinese-Forums

Help with WeChat Account that has been blocked

Brassneck

A plea for help.

I am writing this on behalf on my daughter who has just started University China and has already been blocked a few times. 

Are there any kind souls on here who might be able to advise or even better help get her account unblocked?  I think the problem is knowing the right people who have had accounts long enough to help her.

One of the reasons for getting block has been sending too many greetings!

Somebody suggested setting up a new account with a new user name but she would be using the same phone and sim card so not sure if that would work. When she registered she did have a UK sim card and switched to a local Chinese one and we think that was part of the reason for a previous block.

I tried to set up my account in the UK and I can't even register for an account as I don't know anybody who can verify me!

Thanks

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brassneck said:

Is anybody on here willing to verify / unblock my daughter’s account

Unless I'm missing something , no one here would be on your daughter's wechat contact list and if she can't use her account , she can't add anyone new . 

6 hours ago, Brassneck said:

they did not have her as a contact so it doesn’t have to be somebody already in her friends list.

This is a useful bit of information that we perhaps should remember.

I didn't offer to help because I thought I couldn't as I wasn't in China, there does seem to be two versions of wechat, one for in China and one for the rest of the world. I don't have any of the goodies you get in China, no wallet, no red envelopes and more.

Glad you got sorted, this happened to me awhile back and the friendly folk here helped me.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:50 AM, Shelley said:

there does seem to be two versions of wechat, one for in China and one for the rest of the world. I don't have any of the goodies you get in China, no wallet, no red envelopes and more.

I'm not sure where this idea comes from (I'm sure everything changes regularly), but the version I have installed on my phone came from the UK Apple app store, and I'm successfully using WeChat with a wallet, hong baos, etc here in Beijing. The account was even registered originally to a UK mobile number, even though I've been using a China Unicom SIM since I arrived in May 2019.

All it took was the real-name verification process which, as others have described, involves uploading a photo of yourself and your passport, plus of course you need to have a Chinese bank card number.

5 minutes ago, Shelley said:

Ah well that is it, no Chinese bank account here in the UK. Can't see how you could get one seeing how difficult it can be when you are actually in China. 

Step 1: Open Google
Step 2: Type "Nearest Bank of China opening hours" 
Step 3: Check whether it's a bank used solely for business or that it also services personal accounts (important!)
Step 4: Go there with your passport, phone and money to deposit. 
Step 5: Register Account with Bank
Step 6: Deposit money on Account
Step 7: Ask for help with linking your Wechat account to your Bank Account
Step 8: ... ?
Step 9: Profit~!

I often go to the one in Rotterdam to deposit money on my Chinese bank account.