Chinese-Forums

Registration tests

roddy

If anyone's in China and has five spare minutes, could they try

1) Disconnecting any VPN
2) Opening this or any other on-site link in a private / incognito window (so you appear logged out)

3) Clicking the 'sign-up' button and registering a dummy account (maybe prefix the username with Dummy so I know who you are) with a disposable email

4) Let me know what happens. 

Trying a new way of spotting spam registrations, may or may not work from China. Ta. 

Next question for people all around the world - does the 'jigsaw' style security check on the registration page

https://www.chinese-forums.com/register/ (open in an incognito window if you're logged in)

load reasonably quickly and let you move the pieces around?

No need to actually submit to register an account this time.

Jigsaw thing garbled for me using Chrome on OSX. 

Doesn't look like usual Chinese equivalent of captcha. (Some images not loaded.)

Oh, hang on... tried again with incognito mode... hadn't  realised that there are multiple pieces to move, unlike the usual "slide this piece to the right" thing. Kind of worked on second attempt.

Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 20.51.53.png

it's a bit of a pain. The usual captcha service is provided by Google and inaccessible from China. The other options integrated into the software aren't great. And spam services tend to be very suspicious of anything coming from a Chinese IP,  which for us is a little bit of a problem...

• Like 1