Chinese-Forums

can I teach without a degree ?

beijingbooty

Hello, I am a 35 year old Euro male with a good grasp of mandarin.

Married to a Chinese woman, I would love to teach in China.

However I do not have a university degree. I only have high school and tertiary certificates.

Is there any hope for me ?

what sort of money could I earn ?

THanks for any advice.

• 3 weeks later...

You could do it if you wanted, but you're going to be restricted in the range of jobs you can take - the better places will be able to attract the teachers with better qualifications. If you are only looking at this as a way to spend a year in China, fair enough (although consider spending a year studying Chinese instead, and part-time teaching to cover costs - you'll get more out of it). However if it's going to be long-term I would reconsider.

Roddy

• 5 weeks later...

Teaching without a degree, is now a bit of a problem. Yes, you may get the black schools that reply to your advert or find yourself on a tourist visa teaching for the first month, then digging the Mongolian highway for the remaining 11 months of your contract. Best way, go with a short term contract with a school or opt for studying Chinese at a local University (follow Roddy's advice). Remember China (well Heilongjinag at lest), at the moment is experiencing what they call 'quality teachers' drive. Just having arms and legs is not enough.

Teaching without a degree? Certainly possible.

A buudy of mine used to teach kindergarten for fairly big bucks (14,000RMB/month). Sure the guy wasn't really "qualified" to teach to college students. However, he was enthusiastic, happy, energetic, and up-beat. Plus, he loves kids. So, he made bank on teaching kids, even though he wasn't "qualified".

(Interestingly enough, the guy was a vodka rep at night). 8)

In any case, perhaps, teaching kindergarten or something like that would be the best choice for someone without a degree.