Chinese-Forums

Mandarin hq listening vault

suMMit

After reading this thread https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/59014-chinese-learners-are-forced-into-a-standard-box/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-458885 I thought of this resource I've been using:

I'm not going to write an in depth review, but I thought I'd post a link to a resource I've been quite enjoying. It focuses on listening to normal speed Mandarin and a wide variety of accents ie. Beijing dongbei, guangdong, Sichuan, Shanghai, etc.They are also a variety of ages and personalities. I think its a great resource for improving listening, reinforcing some basic grammar structures and even vocabulary. It features 150 short videos at beginner/elementary/intermediate level, with 6 different people asking 6 other people a  question. You listen first with no aids, then with pinyin and characters, then with English subs, then there are 3 quizzes. The topics are quite varied. It is probably too easy for a high intermediate level. The music in the intro video is kind of cheesy, but there's no music in the actual videos. Its also a bit pricey, but it is obvious that the creator has put a lot of work into this, and the quality shows. It's not incredibly extensive, But doing 3 videos a week, it'll take me a year to complete.  I find it educational and entertaining at the same time.  money was well spent imo.

Here's the link:

https://mandarinhq.com/real-spoken-chinese-vault-course/

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mungouk said:

How many videos are there at intermediate level?  Are there more to come and/or at higher levels?

And how active are the forums?

There are roughly 50 videos at each Beginner, Elementary, Intermediate level. I don't think they are adding any videos. The forums are not very active, but there are some questions and I've asked a few questions and they get answered. The quality is excellent, the quantity is on the low side. You can download all the audio and transcripts. Each video is around 1.5 minutes.

Im guessing for your level a lot of its not going to be very challenging. For me, at Elementary level, it's just right. 

I like the fact that you get a variety of accents asking and answering the questions at full speed, and a variety of grammar for both question and answer. No wasted time with any English. 

Here's an example of an intermediate level question (I wasn't able to copy the the Chinese script easily, but it's there: pinyin, simplified and traditional characters)

WHICH SUPERSTAR OR CELEBRITY WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO MEET? WHY? (The Question) SIMPLIFIED CHARACTERS VERSION

míng rén? 名人?You most want meet which measure word superstar or celebrity

Which superstar or celebrity would you most like to meet?

My forever idol. His name is called Luo Zhixiang. He has given me lots of strength, and has allowed me to have more energy to go after my dreams.

• Like 1