Chinese-Forums

HSK5 Paper vs Internet based test

可为

Yes, yet another Paper vs Internet based test question. I have googled and read almost all forum posts and blogs on this issue. Yet I have an unanswered question: for the internet based exam, after you have completed the writing section, can you go back to the reading (and/or listening) section?

I just tried a past exam paper on http://cnhsk.org/mk and after completing the writing section I had about 25 mins remaining. But I could not go back to the reading section where I had to basically guessed the last 10 questions due to lack of time. I am not sure whether this is also reflective in the actual examination. Would appreciate your feedback on this for those who have set for the HSK internet based exam.

For my HSK4 exam I did the paper based test and used the extra remaining time after the writing section to complete the outstanding reading section questions.

In general, I would prefer to take the Internet based test for the HSK5, but it's crucial that I used some of the writing section time to complete all the reading section questions. I am assuming that the HSK5 paper based exam is similar to the HSK4 paper based exams where the answer sheet stays with you until the end of the entire test, thus allowing you to revert back to the listening and reading sections to complete and/or check the questions there.

Thanks!

Yea that's pretty much what this is about. Computer based HSK exams are easier in regards that you don't really need to remember how to write characters for the writing section, but harder because you cannot come back to previous sections. 

If you're good at writing, then just take the paper-based, otherwise work on improving reading pace and take internet based exam

when i took the paper hsk 5 and hsk 6, during the writing section the reading section's essays were in another booklet that had already been taken away, so there way no way to go back and use the extra time on reading questions. 

• Like 2

This is good info @dtcamero. Thank you. So it’s different from HSK4. 

To clarify, you mean the reading section booklet containing the reading questions were taken away at the end of the reading section. And that the writing section questions were in another separate booklet. Is this correct? Thanks once again. 

yes, in my experience, on both #5 and 6 tests. 

after the reading section finished we had a 5 minute break, after which the proctors handed out a single page of questions and an answer sheet for the writing section.

• Thanks 1