Chinese-Forums

I'm writing my thesis on Chinese business letters and i need help ^^

milak

• New Members

Hello everyone! I'm writing my thesis on the languages of Chinese, Italian and Russian business letters. I'm looking for examples of chinese business letter that have emoji in them. I read on a website that it is not unusual to find emoji in Chinese business letters. Thats phenomen intrigued me a lor because in the italian ones this isunthinkable. Now i'm lookng for that kind of emails. If you have aby clue where i can find them i will be really thankfull. 

17 hours ago, milak said:

I read on a website that it is not unusual to find emoji in Chinese business letters.

If I received a business letter from a Chinese company that contained emojis, I would assume it was fake. What you read on the internet may not have been correct. 

I live in China and frequently receive short messages from legitimate businesses on my phone, either via the phone's native messaging app or via WeChat that do contain emojis. Maybe announcing a big sale or a new product or some such. Still, they are less common than in messages from individuals, at least in my experience. . 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

You're going to write your thesis on some article you read on the internet about Chinese business practices?! Don't you think you should've gotten some evidence and examples before deciding that?! I've never heard of Chinese business emjois, outside advertising of course, which every country undoubtedly does.

6 hours ago, 道艺黄帝 said:

You're going to write your thesis on some article you read on the internet about Chinese business practices?! 

No, he's writing his thesis on the languages of Chinese, Italian and Russian business letters.

7 hours ago, 道艺黄帝 said:

Don't you think you should've gotten some evidence and examples before deciding that?!

I think gathering evidence and examples is exactly why he's posted here.  

• Like 2

• New Members

No of course i won’t write my thesis on some article i saw on internet! I just thought that if i really could find that kind of article then it woukd be great to write my thesis on.

Althrough I write in some different forum asking the about chinese business letters and how busnessman keep in touch between them. Lot of people reply me that chinese corrispondence between busnessmen now is based on wechat and that is even more unusually writing for them normal email.Is that true? And in that case, did chinese businessman use emoji in business corrispondence?

On 10/2/2019 at 1:51 AM, milak said:

And in that case, did chinese businessman use emoji in business corrispondence?

As I said before, above, no. At least I don't think so. 

3 hours ago, 道艺黄帝 said:

liquor is almost inevitably involved. 

But not emojis in business letters, that is very unprofessional. 

If I received a business letter from anyone in any language and they used emojis, i would not think very highly of the company. Same goes for any kind of text speak or overuse of acronyms.

On 10/4/2019 at 10:30 AM, abcdefg said:

As I said before, above, no. At least I don't think so. 

If the correspondence is being done by Wechat then the use of emojis is almost inevitable.  They impart important meaning to sentences which can sound harsh or unfunny if done without them.  

I just can't imagine in this day and age much correspondence is done by formal letter delivered by the post office.  Maybe bids or contracts.  Wechat is just too convenient and Chinese people default to using it.  Or QQ.

I think a more interesting thesis topic would be the use and effect of Wechat Moments posts on business relationships.  Would you deliberately include things designed to appeal to, flatter, or impress your business contacts?  What if you disregard them entirely and just post personal photos of your life, does that affect how they think about you?  What I do is keep two phones (or in this day and age, two copies of Wechat using Xiaomi's "Second Space" option) precisely to avoid this.  Although I do see posts from people on the business phone whenever I check, which is not often because I'm not really interested in those people.  Some of them are so off as to be inappropriate, or they showcase them living up the good life in expensive venues.  Either way it makes me think they're twits.

Another topic would be the use of Wechat groups.  There's always a main one for the whole company, one for the managers, one for each department, etc.  Plus employees can form their own outside the view of management.  I've known of two mass walkoffs due to poor treatment that were coordinated this way.  Unfortunately it seems that data for these two projects would be almost impossible to assemble without Big Brother-level access from Tencent.