Chinese-Forums

Help Translating Names for a Book

Godpleasehelp1

I'm writing a book and need help with translating names. By that I mean, what would seem most natural; a loanword, straight up just English, or a made up Chinese name. Same for the titles of the stories. Would a direct translation or the original English title be prefered. If it helps, alot of the names are usually 4+ Syllables and European based.

• Like 1

I can translate the names myself, I just wanted to know what form I should translate them in. By loanword form I mean 澳大利亚. I've read a few manhua and saw that English words were sometimes used, which is why I brought up the English. I just wanted to know if a native speaker were reading, what would be the best form

Are you writing a story in Chinese? Or translating an existing story in Chinese?

If not: where and when does your story take place? Who are these characters you need Chinese names for? Why do you need Chinese names for them? What are their current names and what is the significance of these names?

The stories take place in many different places and times. I want to translate the names mostly to help myself learn the language, and because not everyone speaks English and Japanese. Most of the names are made up, but have European roots. I don't know if names like Yurlungur or Thalassa would be difficult for a Chinese reader to pronounce, since I'm an American English speaker. So I wanted to know the best route to translate them.(I have over 500 names to translate, so I don't want do waste my time and do something wrong)

No, you haven't said anything off, but you might have noticed folks going around in circles trying to figure out what you're asking for. It's a bit frustrating.

So you have a book already written in English that you are translating into Chinese. It's apparently fiction, so the names aren't actual names, and apparently some sort of fantasy, so the names have a fantasy quality in English. Is all that right?

Why not look at how this is dealt with in Chinese translations of books like Lord of the Rings? Usually best to just follow common practice.

Are you asking if the names should be written in Chinese using the same sounds (transliteration) or by translating the "meaning" of the name into chinese?

So if you have a name like David the normal chinese version is Dawei and the usual characters are  大伟.

When it comes to choosing characters for chinese names this needs to be  done with thought, some characters are not suitable for names.

David means "Beloved or Uncle" so you could use the chinese for these words and then you would be translating the meaning. This is not usually done.

It is more common to transliterate than translate.

The names in your example "Yurlungur or Thalassa" would be difficult to transliterate as there is not always a corresponding sound. For example there is no V sound in Chinese and I can't think of anything for TH.

Skylee -- much missed -- gave us some translations of names from Lord of the Rings which seemed more to reflect meaning than phonetics:

"I find the Chinese subtitles of the HK version are pretty good. I particularly like some of the translated names, like -

Weathertop = 風雲頂

Rohirrim = 驃騎人

Osgiliath (Citadel of Stars) = 星辰堡

Shadowfax (horse name) = 影疾"

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/539-the-lord-of-the-rings-the-return-of-the-king/

Also check out Game of Thrones, I've been told that the translation of the first book in the series is well-thought-out.

But my actual advice: consider doing something else with your studying time. Fantasy translation is an interesting and worthwhile pursuit in itself, but translating over 500 European fantasy names into Chinese as a way of studying is a waste of time unless you have a contract with a publisher for it (and even then, I'd advise you to get a native speaker to do it). If translating literature is a study method that works for you, consider translating something that has already been done, focus on vocabulary, grammar and style and compare your work with that of the published translation. If you like fantasy, read Chinese fantasy.

And I also miss Skylee. I hope her life just took a happy turn that means she doesn't have time for the forums anymore.