Chinese-Forums

Character name help/ideas?

AschNighthawk

• New Members

Hi, I've been working on a novel, and two of the characters are half-Chinese with both Western and Chinese names. While I have some experience with Japanese, I have very little experience with Chinese.

For one of the characters, I want his name to mean something along the lines of "Black moon" or including/similar to that. He's cool, level headed, and very smart. I want "black" to be more of the surname, with 朧 (Lóng, character/appearance of the moon) as the middle character, if that makes sense at all. I was considering maybe 黟 (Yī, shining black/ebony) for the surname.

The other character, I want his name to mean "bright dragon," probably 亮 (Lóng Liàng), with the surname  (Bái, white). But I don't know if this is an appropriate name at all.

Oh, and I want both names to be three characters long.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1 month later...

白龍亮 is ok but... 

in China the surnames we use are limited to a hundred or two and not every character can be a surname so I think 黟 is not suitable for a surname (the point is, if you use a character like this as a surname, it'll be strange and no chinese would think it is a surname. We just think it is a part of someone's given name and will be searching for the surname all the time without knowing that 黟 is the surname) only when I look up in my "dictionary of commonly used characters in classical chinese" did I find its meaning

actually, I think 黑 would work as a good one. or 烏, it's a really existing surname. 

btw 朧 always gives me a impression of dim. the appearance of moon is what this character was created for, but in modern chinese this character only comes with 朦 and means "cannot see clearly"