Chinese-Forums

Taiwanese Chinese-Language Netflix Originals

Demonic_Duck

https://variety.com/2019/digital/asia/netflix-dates-three-taiwan-made-series-1203313883/

Netflix has set late 2019 and early 2020 air dates for a trio of Chinese-language original series that it has made in Taiwan.

A supernatural prison break story, a Triad action comedy, and a murder mystery period drama, all coming out soon. Chinese title of Nowhere Man is 《罪梦者》, not sure about the other two.

Anyone else excited for these?

• Like 3

Interesting. I'll definitely take a look. I've yet to come across any Chinese-language stuff on Netflix I've wanted to watch more than a few minutes of, but some of their Spanish stuff has been really good - although I'm still at that 'straining to understand' level where you're a lot more tolerant of nonsense if it's halfway comprehensible. Will be good to see what they do  - and interesting these are Taiwanese rather than mainland productions. 

Besides these, there are a couple of Taiwan series on Netflix already.

I recently finished watching 《一千个晚安》which is like a meandering tour of Taiwan and its culture, wrapped up with a thin veneer of drama on top (though sometimes over the top).

If you're interested in Taiwanese tv shows though, this year's must watch (but not on Netflix) is 《我們與惡的距離》.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, imron said:

I recently finished watching 《一千个晚安》which is like a meandering tour of Taiwan and its culture, wrapped up with a thin veneer of drama on top (though sometimes over the top).

I really enjoyed that show. It was meandering and slow but it was kinda perfect as a late night watch, loafing on the couch half awake and enjoying all the excellent scenery abundant in every episode. The drama being somewhat subdued was also a nice change of pace. 

8 minutes ago, PerpetualChange said:

I really enjoyed that show. It was meandering and slow

I meant meandering in a positive way.  I also really liked the slow pace - there was no hurry or rush and the show was happy to go on at its own speed.  Episodes were only an hour or so long, but they felt much longer, but without feeling drawn out or plodding.

• Like 1

Had a quick look at 我們與惡的距離 - does look very good, but can't see anywhere to watch it except in low quality, which I can't be bothered with. Then I found 一千个晚安 on Netflix, does look lovely. 

This is making me want to recommend non-Chinese TV. Hang on, I'll magic up a topic...

• 1 month later...

I really liked 花甲男孩轉大人, but it's about half in Taiwanese/Southern Min, so I watched with the English subtitles on. It took a couple episodes to get going. It's not overdramatic like many Taiwanese shows. It's got a cutesy indie sort of vibe.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80188969