Chinese-Forums

Work Permit Notification Letter

Khaoula

It seems you're anxious about the process, but this doesn't seem like an easy question to answer, apart from:

a. It depends on the company

b. It depends on the embassy

Maybe you could be more specific in your question?  In other words, what do you really want to know?

In my own experience, I did a lot of running around in my home country (and spent a lot of money) trying to get everything in place for a Z-visa, but we ran out of time and I ended up arriving in China on a tourist (L) visa and then "converting" this to a work permit within a few weeks of arriving.  I'm told this is very common.

I wish they had told me this months in advance, because getting the medical checks and everything else done in my home country was very expensive, and for a tourist visa is not necessary.  In any case, you have to get a medical check done in China once you arrive anyway.

@mungouk Thank you for your helpful responses. You are absolutely right, I am very anxious as I feel like waiting and not knowing when it is going to happen. I am not used to staying and waiting. The first time I applied for a job in China, I also entered China with an L visa, then converted it to a Z visa after a month or so in Hong Kong. Now that my visa expired and had to go back to my country, I had to apply again from the beginning. I am not sure I can do the same if I want to apply for a new z visa. I was told it would better to just apply in one's home country. I got my health check done here this time and sent all the documents required to the new company to apply for a new work permit. We are still waiting for the notification letter and I wonder how long that letter takes to be issued before one applies for a Z visa. 

I'm afraid I can't offer any more advice apart from what I've observed in the case of others...

If you apply close to a major holiday (like Golden Week — last week; or Spring Festival) then add at least an extra 7 days to the processing time.

If you go to the web page for your embassy, then they may (or may not) specify what the typical processing time is.

I think the time would also depend on the place you're applying to work in. Some cities/provinces appear to be faster than others.

By the way, your Z-visa will expire within a short time of arriving in China... what allows you to actually stay and work is your residence permit (with permission to work).

I think I may have mentioned this in another thread, and it's confusing because in most other countries a "work visa" is what allows you to stay and work.  In China, the Z-visa only gives permission to enter the country and apply for the residence/work permit. Once this is granted, your visa will be cancelled with a red stamp, and it's no longer relevant. 

@mungouk The wait is so irritating.. I saw other people post on some groups on Facebook complaining about... well... waiting...

I agree, I meant my work and residence permit expired last august and I had to return to Morocco. I signed a new contract with a new company which means I need a new Z visa to enter the country before it is converted. They said that they already applied and are waiting for a response just like I am. They said it might take 5 to 10 days. I wonder how long it usually takes to be issued in a city such as Dalian.