Chinese-Forums

Sechuan beef recipe

Glomt

Hello

I write from Europe, there are very few Chinese restaurants in my area. One of them has delicious Sichuan beef sirloin on the menu. I would like to learn how to make it, I have tried many recipes from the internet and this is still not it. I have a problem to get a "watery" sauce and a clear spicy, salty and sour taste. My dishes do not have this clear salty and sour taste and the whole is sticky or reduced. There are instructions in the recipes that I have, I don't know what to change or what I do wrong. Or these recipes are wrong. Do any of you have a good and tested recipe for such a dish?

I use Doubanjiang paste because it is recommended in many recipes. Please, help, because Im lack ideas!

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 5:17 PM, Glomt said:

Do any of you have a good and tested recipe for such a dish?

When this new member contacted me by private message yesterday, I suggested he post his question here so others could help as well. Also wrote him the following:

To get that special sour and salty taste, you will need a Sichuan spice called doubanjiang. It is made from a special type of fermented broad beans. It's essential in Sichuan stir-fry cooking. It might not be locally available, but maybe you can order it.

Nothing else has quite the same taste. The Chinese for it is 豆瓣酱。The best of it comes from a county in Sichuan named Pixian. The Chinese for Pixian County is 郫县。So if you can find Pixian doubanjiang, that would be perfect. Here's the Chinese for that 郫县豆瓣酱。

The thing about a dish like Sichuan Beef is that there are many ways to make it. Every cook will have his own variations on the method. One may be more to your liking than others.

1851464065_paolajiao-750px.thumb.jpg.a93587c8b7377bdd50f071437a195a63.jpgMany times authentic Sichuan recipes for dishes of this kind also use pickled peppers 泡辣椒. (Wet, not dry.) They increase the sour "kick" at the same time as ramping up the heat a little bit.  

Here's a reliable recipe that I've used with minor adaptations. The author is an experienced Chinese cook, not some random Youtube cowboy. She gives clear instructions about ingredients and technique. Try it and see if it's what you have in mind. We can use that as a starting point and then help you work towards the desired result. 

https://omnivorescookbook.com/szechuan-beef-stir-fry/  

Hope that helps. Welcome to the forum! 

• Helpful 2

No guys, I dont have chinese name of the dish. In menu its called "sechuan beef" but in my language, thats all. Thank you for help, Ill get Doubanjiang today and Ill try your recipes, Ill tell you what I get and what is not right for me :D

Chef wont tell me the recipe :D

Ach, and Ive got photo of the dish! 

Its from theirs website. 

012.jpg

Edited by Glomt
Missclick