Chinese-Forums

Learn Chinese with Songs

Andrew1556

If you haven't tried learning Chinese with C-pop songs yet, you're missing out! Sure, you can't practice your tones, but the repetitive nature of pop songs makes it a GREAT tool for memorization. If you want to give it a try, I recorded a cover of 追光者 (zhui guang zhe) on my channel and I explain what ALL of the LYRICS mean! I'll link it below...

追光者 (Cover) >> https://youtu.be/P55DgJRWmJY

追光者 (Lyrics Breakdown) >> https://youtu.be/E4q4iuQHscM

**Some of you have suggested I read stories on my channel... I'm happy to say that a story is coming VERY soon...

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that singing along with Chinese songs help with language learning. Here are some songs that, IMO, will stand the test of time: great music, great lyrics (lyrics for the first video can be found in the comments section by Tony Cheung): 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tnj9_MlNWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu9kMCl9x-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Us-_VlaEfw

I would have to disagree, learning Chinese by singing along is going to do nothing for your tones and the vocabulary is rather limited.

Do it becuase its fun but do not fool yourself this is going to really help with learning chinese.

@Shelley, you're absolutely right in that tones are pretty much out the window when it comes to songs (the OP said as much)--at least for Mandarin songs. Cantonese songs tend to be more adherent to tones. Be that as it may, I think it just depends on the student. Some ppl learn better through visual input, some by audio. To me, learning Chinese is an all encompassing endeavor, by whatever means necessary. That means come hell or high water, I'm gonna incorporate the target language into my daily life, whether it's talking to clients, watching c-drama, listening/singing to Chinese songs, or communicating to ppl online in Chinese (whether written or audio recording), or working on my Canto/Mando podcast.

The OP mentioned (paraphrasing here) the repetition of, say, the chorus helps in vocab memorization. For me, how singing (or listening to) Chinese songs help with language learning is not necessarily a tangible cause and effect paradigm. It's more akin to the general WTF sentiment towards the elimination of music in school curriculums when studies indicate music as instrumental to a child's developing mind. I've always thought of songs as poetry put to music and I've never really cared for poetry, but even for songs like "America the Beautiful," where lyrics go like:

Oh beautiful, for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties,
Above the fruited plain...

I mean, ok, that IS beautiful lyrics right there.

Or:
Oh things ain't what they used to be, no no
Oil wasted on the oceans and upon our seas, fish full of mercury
Ah, oh mercy, mercy me
Ah things ain't what they used to be, no no
Radiation under ground and in the sky
Animals and birds who live nearby are dying

Beautiful in a different way.

Nobody's gonna talk like any of the lyrics above, and maybe I won't understand completely what's being sung, but I sure as heck am hella glad I heard these songs, can sing them, and enjoy what they make me feel as I understand them from my perspective/understanding of the world. 

Just like I'm so glad to have had the chance to hear:

教到香港俾支咪对住全世界演讲

富丽堂皇我既说话冇人可以阻挡

需要恐慌震撼直入你既心脏

地下既冲撞 我地经得起既风浪

系每个面前 我地只有一个焦点

系每个地点 都有一班勇士作战

每日既眷恋 令我斗志死灰复燃

阔幕既出现 hiphop界由我开始

So regarding the usefulness of Chinese songs--it may feel useless to some but for me, personally, every little bit helps, so I guess we can agree to disagree that singing can be a tool to learn Chinese.

• Like 1

I do think that it is enjoyable to listen to chinese songs and music and I do think that in some way it helps.

I just hope that people will go in to with their eyes and ears :)wide open to the fact that it will not contribute to learning how to speak chinese correctly.

Im on the fence about learning from songs. I learned 图书馆 from a kids song. Learning it that way really confused me on what the tones were. Took me a long time to get it down - i did not know 'book' or guan at that time. In fact thinking about it, it wasnt til i learned book and fanguan that i could get the right pron on 图书馆. But, because of that ridiculous song, i will never, ever forget 图书馆 lol. As Leslie says, different strokes for different folks.