Chinese-Forums

Is it possible to rent room near Tsinghua with budget around 2400rmb?

YMA

Hello All,

I am planning to take mandarin language course at Tsinghua for next spring Feb 2020 for one semester.

As I dig further and found out that the dorm is almost impossible to book, and my current budget is only limited to 2400rmb and below.

I will be self-sponsored student, and the tuition fees is within my budget.

However I found out the accomodation  if I cannot book the dorm, will be very expensive around Wudaokao.

Is it possible to find room within my budget that allowed rental to 5 months and near Tsinghua?

I can’t speak mandarin yet, and only learn the basic things.

Thanks all.

58 minutes ago, YMA said:

Is it possible to find room within my budget that allowed rental to 5 months and near Tsinghua?

I'll be brutally honest with you; You're screwed. 

You won't find anything near Tsinghua for that amount, unless you don't mind sharing a place, or rather a room, with someone else. If you decide on finding something once you're there, without the help from someone who's willing to spend the time to read a contract and accompany you, you'll be cheated out of your money. They'll have you sign a contract, with a 2-3 month deposit. Which means that even if you were to find something for 2400 RMB that 5 month rent fee of 12,000 will suddenly become 19,200 or 21,600. (6 months rent + 2-3 month deposit)

Especially as you don't speak Mandarin yet. The best thing is to find the contact information of other foreigners studying at Tsinghua and see whether any of them are willing to share a place with you. Or you'll have to get a intermediary to find yourself an apartment, but that would mean  you'll have to pay for their efforts.

How far out on the subway do you need to go nowadays to get cheaper rents? Back in my day people were starting to move out towards Shangdi for cheaper rents than Wudaokou, but a quick trip in to class on Line 13. 

For the OP - your problem isn't just the budget, it's the short rental term. You'll be a lot better off looking at people who've already rented a flat and need someone to fill a spare room. 

• Helpful 2

For a short stay you might also look into a month-to-month hotel rental, perhaps further out if you really want to save money. Advantage -- big advantage -- is no middleman, no big deposit, freedom to move somewhere else after a month if it doesn't work out. No kitchen if you want to cook, but you'll get housekeeping instead.

• Helpful 1

There used to be plenty of places in Wudaokou and surrounds that offered shorter term rentals-like 5 months-to cater to all the short term students like you. However, these were usually at a premium. 

As Roddy suggests, if you look further out from Wudaokou the rent will get cheaper. Especially if you’re going North of Wudaokou (you’ve got the whole of line 13 to choose from). This would be a commute to class though. A subway train ride then a bus or bike to classes. I’m not sure but based on general inflation Shangdi probably isn’t that affordable now either.  If you went somewhere that wasn’t on the subway line but commutable by bus or bike you’d like find it much cheaper. 

As above, the big issue for you is your time frame Combined with your budget. The time frame isn’t that big a deal in WDK where it’s pretty common. However, your budget might not be enough. Then again, you never know. Finding other foreigners who need to fill a room is also a good way to find a place. You can check thebeijinger classified ads for foreigners listing rooms. 

Are you 100% set on Tsinghua? You could go somewhere smaller like Minzu University. Might be easier to get a dorm room or find cheaper accommodation around the area. 

• Helpful 2