Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
abcdefg

Seasonal eats: Cauliflower time 番茄炒花菜

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

abcdefg

Just curious, how do you most often prepare cauliflower in your home? It's a versatile vegetable which can be roasted, steamed, stir-fried and so on. 

I sometimes "dry fry" 干煸 it, as in this recipe from a year ago. Seasoned with ham slivers and cumin seeds 孜然: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/57449-dry-fried-cauliflower-干煸花菜/?tab=comments#comment-445668

796392904_IMG_6434-65.thumb.jpg.855e95c96d39d7182388bfb6de8b4f9c.jpg 

Shelley

The only way cauliflower is eaten in our house is as cauliflower cheese. 

There has been somewhat of a shortage of cauliflowers this year, the weather is to blame. We never see the leggy type, just the firm heads.

It has become a popular substitute for mashed potato for people trying to lose weight, not sure about that myself, its very easy to end up with watery cauliflower if overcooked and not drained properly and so would make very sloppy mash.

abcdefg
56 minutes ago, Shelley said:

The only way cauliflower is eaten in our house is as cauliflower cheese. 

Do you mean you melt cheese on top? That sounds good. Do you make it in the oven? Is there a particular kind of cheese that works best?

I didn't know about cauliflower instead of potatoes for people trying to lose weight. 

Shelley

Cauliflower cheese is made by cooking the cauliflower till it is just done, soft but definitely not overdone. let it drain well.

Make a  white sauce, add lots of grated cheese, usually cheddar, stir well,  put some of the sauce on the bottom of an oven proof dish, add the drained cauliflower and pour the rest of the cheese sauce over, make sure it is all covered well.

Grate some more cheese, sprinkle generously over the top, and some bread crumbs to add a crispness to the top, put in the oven till golden brown or under a grill if no oven available. If it is all still hot you could just use a cooks blowtorch to brown the top, but the best is slowly in the oven to let the cauliflower absorb some of the sauce.

Serve hot on its own as a main meal or as a side veg. We always have it as a main meal, one biggish cauliflower does 2 people very well.

abcdefg

Yum! 

Cauliflower with cheese sauce was the classic comfort food growing up. I think Mom boiled and drained the cauliflower, then poured a sauce over it made almost entirely of melted Velveeta, which I seem to recall was the only cheese we ever had in the house.

• Like 1

abcdefg

I like Shelley's version better!

• Thanks 1

ChTTay

“Cauliflower rice” is the trendy weight loss dish with cauliflower these days. Just grate/shave the cauliflower and fry it up like you would cooked rice. Seriously. Search for that and you’ll get a lot of hits. It can be quite good if done right. 

abcdefg
23 hours ago, ChTTay said:

“Cauliflower rice” is the trendy weight loss dish with cauliflower these days. Just grate/shave the cauliflower and fry it up like you would cooked rice. Seriously. Search for that and you’ll get a lot of hits. It can be quite good if done right. 

Interesting. I had not heard of doing this. Is it popular in China? Or only in the west? 

OK, I just found a recipe using grated cauliflower. Made like 炒饭 fried rice. Includes green peas, carrots, and corn. Looks real tasty. I might even try it. 

https://www.meishij.net/zuofa/huacaichaofan.html 

ChTTay

Keto diet thing I believe. At least originally ...