Chinese-Forums

Simplified Characters - Phase 2

hparade

Found this image on net for the list of character simplification phase 2 (abolished)::

It's rather fun and amazing that they went further like that, (sh) 8) , and we can still see some people are still using them nowadays, and some are quite "common" even in Hong Kong, e.g. 餐 (the upper left part), 旦 (蛋) etc :) (well maybe these were the one already in use among the society and they just formalise them)

Edit: I've attached the image to the post, rather than hotlink it, so that we have a copy on this site if the image gets deleted on the other server. Roddy

Interesting stuff. I've always used simplified, and when I hear people saying that simplified characters look ugly or stupid compared to traditional I always kind of dismiss it. Then I look at the extra simplified characters there, and think 'wow, they look really ugly and stupid' . . .

Roddy

simplified characters look ugly or stupid compared to traditional
Why complaining? The computer language needs just the characters 0 and 1 to function! I've heard that this computer model was indeed announced as the "Simplified Characters - Phase 3" at the Chinese Language Reform Conference held in Beijing last August. Can anyone please confirm if this is true?

??

I don't quite understand the topic discussed here because I don't quite understand the Chinese page. Does it describe the new planned simplification or the one that was planned and then abolished? Please explain.

I did write that simplification like 餐 - 歺 is already in use but not officially.

Yeah, it was a planned, trialled(to what extent?) and then abandoned scheme. Any yes, I do agree that the ultimate end of simplification should have been us all typing in binary which 1001010010010010101011011010010100101001011001001010 :nono

Roddy

I'll be the evil person who will come out and say it: I wish a lot of those simplifications would have won out. :twisted:

I second this evil opinion. You can clearly see the new characters even on the scanned page. Don't through tomatoes at us. :wink:

This simplification just goes too far, it throws all kinds of meanings into one character (like the 丁, very confusing). I'm glad they didn't make it. But I can understand the pro-traditional characters-people saying the same of the simplified characters in use...

You can read more about Character Simplification Phase 2 (started in use from 1977, abolished in 1986, had been used for about 8 years) from this wikipedia page: ( in Chinese) :

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BA%8C%E7%AE%80%E5%AD%97

Some of the comments from the article:

意義 Meaning

「二簡字」在書寫上更加簡單易行,但是在構造上失去漢字造型美觀的特點。自《人民日報》開始試用「二簡字」後的幾年裡,社會上使用「二簡字」出現了混亂。很大程度上影響了漢字在國際語言中的形象,國內的很多專家和學者紛紛質疑此次簡化。最後在1986年廢除了「二簡字」且《中華人民共和國國家通用語言文字法》規定了「二簡字」不屬於規範用字,並廢除「二簡字」。這次簡化是不成功的,自此以後,官方未提出過任何簡化方案。

可以理解的是,二簡字是在一片「撥亂反正」的呼聲中,並未實行大規模地研究分析,倉促地制定和發佈的。二簡字由於書寫簡單,在一定程度上提高了寫字的速度。

It says the phase2 characters were even more easy to write, but lost the beauty of traditional Chinese characters structure. The use of phase 2 simplified characters caused chaos that time. Facing lots of questions and criticisms from experts, the government finally abolished them in 1986. This simplification was not successful.

[編輯]

影響 Influences

由於七十年代中華人民共和國政府對「二簡字」發佈和宣傳的力度較強,並且在當時已經涉及到社會生活的諸多方面,包括媒體和報刊都使用「二簡字」;加上「二簡字」筆畫少,書寫簡單,易於流行,在當時社會上已經非常廣泛。且在一些地方「二簡字」已經成為教學用字,因此給一部分學生留下了很深刻的印象。這些原因都造成了「二簡字」在當今社會較多的殘留。

《中華人民共和國國家通用語言文字法》的頒佈,從法律上禁止了錯別字、異體字、「二簡字」和繁體字的不正當應用。由於曾經在社會上「二簡字」被使用了一段時間,而且簡單易寫,廢止後的「二簡字」有時會出現在非公開的需要快速書寫的文本如筆記、病歷等,在公共場所也影響著現在的社會生活,市場、商場甚至路牌等重要場所都有出現二簡字。比如:市場中「雞蛋」經常被寫作「雞旦」,公共場所「停車」被寫作「仃車」,銀行里「賬戶」被寫作「帳戶」。很多媒體在推廣漢語的節目中都以此為例。

Since the government promoted them largely at that time, these characters had been in use in many aspects of society at that time including newspapers and medias, they became popular among people and society, so even they were abolished later, we can still see some of their "remains" in society nowadays.

---------

The scanned page image was also found from one of the links listed there.

• 2 months later...