Chinese-Forums

Best fireworks in China on the Chinese New Years Eve

Pengyou

I turn 60 next year...this is my last year of teaching in China because of the visa laws.  I have seen some really impressive fireworks in China on the Chinese New Years Eve.  For those of you who have traveled around, which city do you think has the most spectacular fireworks?  I want to go out "with a bang" this next year - pun intended.

• Like 1

No idea which city has the best fireworks, but you should also take into account accessibility and how good your view will be. A few years ago, there was a stampede by the waterfront in Shanghai on new years eve with several people losing their lives. As a result, as far as I know, now access to that area is restricted in numbers. Even if you get into the area, will you see much when you're in a throng of people? Usually I avoid new year in China like the plague (though, ironically, it looks like I may be going this year). Nevertheless, my most memorable experience was in Dalian at the top of a hill overlooking the whole city. Rather than attending a particular event, it was amazing to see the entire city turning into a "warzone" with explosions everywhere. This was going a few years back, though - I'm not sure if it's the same anymore with restrictions on city dwellers setting off their own fireworks.

This page has lots of info about celebrations and fireworks in Beijing, as you are there I thought is was a good place to start.

At the very bottom of the page there is a search facility for other cities, which might be helpful.

https://newyearsevebeijing.blogspot.com/

I have just realised this might be December 31.

So there is also this.

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/holidays/new-year/destinations.htm

• 2 weeks later...

The Shanghai stampede occurred during the Jan. 1st New Year fireworks. I walked to the waterfront last year on the Pudong side, and they only do a light show (no fireworks) now.

The coolest was Chinese New Year in Beijing in 2012? I walked up to the roof of our dorm, and as far as I could see every intersection and neighborhood square had fireworks going off all at once.

Not China, but the fireworks off the 101 in Taipei are great. One year I watched them from a lawn near the building and it took me some four hours to get home afterwards because there were several hundred thousand people trying to get home at the same time. Another year I watched them from the rooftop of an apartment building nearby and that was much better. View at least as good and no transportation issues.