Chinese-Forums

Maryknoll Audio - looking for help

księżycowy

Hello everyone,

Years ago I bought the venerable Maryknoll Taiwanese and Hakka textbooks. Unfortunately at the time I was unable to obtain the audio that went with the textbooks. I do not currently live in Taiwan, so I can't go to Maryknoll's language center, and the website seems to have been taken down since I last bought from them. So, I'm wondering if anyone might have the audio for Taiwanese Books? I'm also curious if audio was ever recorded for Hakka Book 1. Any help is appreciated!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi there, 

You can email them to purchase materials to send overseas. This was the email address i used to contact them a few years ago: mkbopomofo@hotmail.com

I have the audio for Taiwanese books 1 and 2 if you need it. I can share it with you through Google Drive if you wish.

Thanks

• 7 months later...
  • New Members

FYI I am pleased to see any article concerning Maryknoll.  FR. Price (a co-founder of Maryknoll) was from my hometown of Wilmington NC USA.  His story was instrumental in my decision to teach English in China for over six years.  

• 1 year later...

I actually really love the Marynkoll Taiwanese Books. They were written in the 80s, so they are dated. Each book is very comprehensive. the chapters inculde a dialouge, vocabulary, grammar, and over 100 sentences using the vocab for that chapter. The audio sounds like it was taken of a cassette, but I didn't mind it. I've only use the first 2 books and there are 5 in the series with audio for the first 4 books. 

If you are looking for a colourful, glossy textbook, it's not for you. Otherwise, I'd recommend them.

Thanks

Chaxiu 

• Like 2

Before everyone inundates the missionaries with orders for these books and CDs, I think maybe it would be a good idea to reiterate that here Taiwanese means the Taiwanese version of MinNanYu (Hokkien), not the Taiwanese version of Standard Chinese (Mandarin), called Guoyu on Taiwan. If there's a separate version for Hakka, that should be made clear, too.

If I'm wrong, a suitable punishment can be recommended.

TBZ

• Like 1

@chaxiu I'm just looking for something to focus on listening and speaking practice and it sounds like those books are what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info!

@TheBigZaboon You are correct, these books are for Minnanyu, not Mandarin. Good call on the PSA, otherwise this thread could cause some confusion.

Just went to the Maryknoll language center and bought book 1 with the audio. I bought the Chinese version because I think it will help to see the similarities between Chinese and Taiwanese next to each other. I'll also sign up for some 1-1 classes with them as well starting next or next next week.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I apologize for the long absence from this forum, and this thread in particular. I've since been able to obtain the audio for both Minnan/Taiwanese and Hakka from Maryknoll in Taiwan. I've just restarted to learn Taiwanese again, and I'm not sure how far I will get with it, but I must confess I'm not starting off with the Maryknoll materials, but I do intend to use them after my current textbook.

As far as Maryknoll, I'd be happy to point anyone that needs help in the right direction to obtain materials. (Or to point anyone to non-Maryknoll materials as well.)

• Like 2