Chinese-Forums

HSK Level Correspondence for Specific Textbooks

Larry Language Lover

Could someone please inform me as to which HSK  level the following textbooks prepare for?

New Practical Chinese Reader 1

New Practical Chinese Reader 2

Integrated Chinese Level 1 Part 1

Integrated Chinese Level 1  Part 2

Integrated Chinese Level 2  Part 1

Thanks!

See the Textbook grammar index on the Chinese Grammar Wiki, for these and many other textbooks.

You can also go from the grammar points to the books... most grammar points have relevant book chapters/pages listed at the bottom of their page.

HSK 1 grammar points

HSK 2 grammar points

HSK 3 grammar points

HSK 4 grammar points (incomplete, not shown on menu)

HSK 5 grammar points (ditto)

• Like 2

Yes, it's great. It has a pronunciation section too, under the Resources menu.

Also, if you use the popular Zhongwen browser extension for Chrome, which lets you look up words in web pages by hovering the cursor over them, then you can just press 'g' to go straight to the relevant Chinese Grammar Wiki page.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 7:26 AM, Larry Language Lover said:

Integrated Chinese Level 1 Part 1

Integrated Chinese Level 1  Part 2

Integrated Chinese Level 2  Part 1

For what it's worth, Integrated Chinese and (I think) the New Practical Reader are systems independent of the HSK. That is to say, while they are obviously designed to facilitate language acquisition, they have do not endorse nor are they endorsed by the HSK administrated by the government of China.

ROUGHLY,  I would say completing Integrated Chinese level 2 is comparable to being something like HSK3-4, in the sense that you will have probably have put your eyes on close to 1000 characters covering a range of useful life topics and are probably ready to stop relying solely on textbooks and instead jumping into some native materials. I have never taken HSK but I understand HSK4 is defined as knowing somewhere around 1000 characters. The difference between using something like IC Chinese and HSK4 materials is that with IC you will not get a shiny certificate from a governing body certifying that you have achieved "HSK4". When I studied the IC Chinese curriculum in college, it also taught Traditional alongside Simplified characters. I'm not sure that has changed. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

12 hours ago, mungouk said:

Also, if you use the popular Zhongwen browser extension for Chrome, which lets you look up words in web pages by hovering the cursor over them, then you can just press 'g' to go straight to the relevant Chinese Grammar Wiki page.

Double thanks!  What a great extension.  I wasn't aware of its existence.

8 minutes ago, PerpetualChange said:

ROUGHLY,  I would say completing Integrated Chinese level 2 is comparable to being something like HSK3-4, in the sense that you will have probably have put your eyes on close to 1000 character

Thanks!