Chinese-Forums

First New Yorker article in Chinese

zander1

For the first time, the New Yorker have released a Chinese-language version of one of their articles. It’s about the HK protests and can be found here: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/12/16/hong-kongs-protest-movement-and-the-fight-for-the-citys-soul-translation-jiayang-fan?verso=true&utm_social-type=owned&utm_source=twitter&mbid=social_twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_brand=tny

I have the English version and think it’s translated pretty well. I also think the article is interesting and it’s nice to read something long-form like this other than the NYT.

It might be something like your phone is trying to display the website using a Japanese font, which causes some mainland simplified characters to appear in a slightly different font. It happens on some websites for me on my computer

1 minute ago, imron said:

except the first character of some paragraphs which are purposefully bolded

Nahh, its placement is "random". If one 吗 is emboldened, then all are.

1 hour ago, Tomsima said:

It might be something like your phone is trying to display the website using a Japanese font, which causes some mainland simplified characters to appear in a slightly different font. It happens on some websites for me on my computer

Also on PC. So probably.

55 minutes ago, Weyland said:

Nahh, its placement is "random". If one 吗 is emboldened, then all are.

No, not all of it is random.  The random ones like 吗 are caused by a font problem.

The non-random ones are the first characters of several of the paragraphs (月中旬, 年多, 港喷涌, 天夜里, 天后, 使在, 港一栋, 月下旬, 经历了, 位后来) which have been purposefully bolded and correspond exactly with the English paragraphs that have enlarged first letters.  The fact that they have been purposefully bolded can be verified by looking at the source and seeing that they are surrounded by < strong > tags

6 minutes ago, imron said:

have been purposefully bolded and correspond exactly with the English paragraphs that have enlarged first letters.

Not in my browser. Most of the paragraphs don't start with emboldened letters. If one 车 is emboldened all are. That seems to be the only regularity. Seems to be a issue on my side more than anything else.