Chinese-Forums

The 2020 Aims and Objectives Progress Topic

∞保罗∞

13 hours ago, Lu said:

Read Takeshi's advice here (and his other posts in that thread too). In summary: making Chinese friends is great, but if your main goal (or an important goal) of that friendship is language practice, anyone who speaks Chinese with, to or at you suffices, they don't have to be friends. You don't even have to like them.

Thanks for directing me to this thread Lu.  Not only was it incredibly helpful, it was also wonderfully entertaining! 

My goals for 2020 are:

1) read, listen to and "shadow"/chorus  every episode of Chinesepod Elementary and Intermediate before my subscription runs out on Black Friday 2020: those would be around 4-5 episodes per day.

2) watch Chinese dramas (at least 5-7 episodes per week) and review the subtitles (read the subtitles on Lingq and SRS study important words).

3) Listen to Chinesepod, audio from Chinese dramas and other audio products on the go (gym).

4) try to work on my oral speaking skills with a tutor on Skype or iTalki. This, I have neglected recently due to loads of stress at work.  I hope I can get tutoring at least 1-2 hour per week. I am not really keen on preparing homework for my tutors, but maybe there is a way around it...

5) try to learn some medical Chinese vocabulary (still have not found a good western medical textbook translated into Chinese, only TCM books (!?))

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, StChris said:

Can anyone recommend a place where I can find short and concise news bulletins, so that I can pick stories I'm interested in at my own leisure?

公大资讯 is a fairly decent shot, its a 公众号 on wechat that does daily news bulletins around 15-20 mins long. Its radio format, ie no video, but the content is good. Most importantly, no sitting around bored watching xi jinping walking around on red carpets with other world leaders...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tomsima said:

公大资讯 is a fairly decent shot, its a 公众号 on wechat that does daily news bulletins around 15-20 mins long. Its radio format, ie no video, but the content is good. Most importantly, no sitting around bored watching xi jinping walking around on red carpets with other world leaders..

Thanks a lot, that sounds just what I'm looking for. I hope they include plenty of international news too, as some of the domestic stuff leaves me a bit lost (I think it's as much to do with my lack of knowledge of the political system as a language issue).

• Like 1

Daily

Finish working through the mandarin blueprint method https://www.mandarinblueprint.com/

Continue learning 3 new characters per day (and related words).

Read the new articles on the chairman’s bao https://www.thechairmansbao.com/

Read the new articles and stories on Du Chinese https://www.duchinese.net/

Monthly

Work through the graded readers on my bookshelf and those in Pleco. Like 3 heroes and 5 gallants, Autumn and The Besieged City.

Memorise and recite a short passage, like an opinion piece, lyrics from a song, a joke or a movie scene.

• Like 3

On 12/31/2019 at 7:27 PM, Weyland said:

Someone is swimming against the current.

I'm sure I agree, but in what sense do you mean here?

ETA: Weyland sent me a PM which included these lines:

18 minutes ago, Weyland said:

Dutch public libraries already have bilingual (English-Chinese) versions of Chinese stories, both ancient and modern. Quite a few of these get gifted by the several "Chinese outreach Institutions" based here. But, sooner or later these books will go into storage as people don't know such books are even available.

This is exactly part of what I aim to change.

(Also, not all Dutch libraries have such books; Dutch people are often able to read English, but most of us prefer reading Dutch.)

*At least half hour a day on graded readers ~ I dont enjoy reading that much, but i find it one of the best ways of learning.

*3 lessons a week with my teacher.

*Go out of my way to make some real world speaking situations everyday.

*Do an online resource everyday. Firmly reach the Cpod Intermediate level.

*Record a speaking task several times a week

*Keep a positive attitude with language battles.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 11:19 AM, oceancalligraphy said:

A major goal for me is to become more familiar with seal script. I think this will help my calligraphy and seal carving immensely. 

I love how learning Chinese is so vast. It's really nice to see this type of goal among a lot of general "improve speaking, learn this many words". 

I've been living in Taiwan for 3 years now and my Chinese is solidly intermediate. Everyday simple Chinese is no problem but more complicated conversations are hard to follow.

Biggest challenges --> Vocabulary and related to this is my reading and writing abilities.

My plan is to spend 1 hour per day on studies with focus on reading and writing.

Goals -->

• Complete the 實用視聽華語 series (currently at volume 4).
  • Reading fast and fluent... very few stops to look new words up -- I've begun to read 漫畫 and Chinese fairy tales and want to use these to increase vocabulary.
  • Write my daily work plans in 中文.
  • Flashcards haven't worked for me (they're boring) so I want to find something more interesting.

Of course I have tons of opportunity to speak Mandarin with my friends and family so I'm hoping this helps fill in some of the holes I have.

• Like 2