Chinese-Forums

Any idea what these Mao quotes were in Chinese?

虹麋鹿

• New Members

So, I'm writing an essay in Mandarin at the moment, and I use two Mao Zedong quotes in it, but neither of them I can find in Mandarin. I've got them only because of my one English-language source. Sorry if this is the wrong place, but does anyone know what these might've originally been in Mandarin?

that Chinese writing reform "should not be divorced from reality or make a break with the  past."

and

"Sooner or later, we believe, we will have to abandon characters altogether if we are to create a new social culture in which the masses fully participate."

Thanks for any responses, and sorry again if I've misplaced this post!

The first is 不能脱离实际, 割断历史 Cite here: 1950年7月,吴玉章在全国文字改革协会干部会议上传达了毛泽东的指示:文字改革应首先办“简体字”,不能脱离实际,割断历史。http://news.ifeng.com/history/gundong/detail_2013_03/25/23461746_0.shtml

Can't find the second as yet, suspect it's been ushered off to the archives as most stories I came across emphasised him taking the opposite view, that characters should be kept for patriotic etc. reasons, which seems more in tune with the present line.

• Like 1

《红星照耀中国》in Chinese (originally《西行漫记》). Maybe you can find the quote in the Chinese translation below. Very interesting of course if it's been changed to reflect current politics. Maybe compare 《红星照耀中国》and《西行漫记》if you can find copies.

https://www.bidutuijian.com/books/xixingmanji/000.html