Chinese-Forums

Drawing Characters on Pleco

david387

So for the longest time I always felt that the Google keyboard was the easiest for drawing Chinese characters that I didn't recognize, but pleco was the best resource for getting the definition for characters or new words. So it was often tedious for me sometimes drawing on Google and then switching to pleco if Google's translation was not good enough for me.

And then I would also try to draw on pleco, but it did not recognize my handwriting as readily and I also had to make an extra click to click on the character that was the one I was trying to draw. It's fine to have this option, but it's also very convenient when the character just pops out when I'm done drawing it.

So now I have figured out a way to add a keyboard switcher on the absolute bottom right of my Android phone, and it is quite convenient to switch over to the Baidu keyboard. Then I'm able to draw what I want in Baidu and get the result and pleco. I can even draw whole sentences quite quickly this way and I think maybe it is even a little better than Google. I definitely like the way it looks when I draw on Baidu versus Google.

So I can still switch between languages on the gboard, but I also have an additional button on the absolute bottom right to switch between keyboards as well. So overall I'm very happy now with this.

• Helpful 2

I find Pleco's drawing input to be very useful. There is the odd time when I just can't get it to pick up on the character I want, no matter how perfectly I draw it. For that reason alone, I keep Hanping, which always seems to be strong in that department.