Chinese-Forums

Student dormitory location

Lee18

• New Members

Hi All

The question that I am asking maybe like searching for a needle in a haystack but has anyone seen or know where this university student dormitory is in China just by looking at the attached picture ? Seems a bit gloomy or very different from other student accommodations. 

Thanks 

47115A0E-7E33-4673-9860-DDA59979EFCD.jpeg

• New Members

Well, I ain’t evil or have some intent. Just came across this picture and thought to myself, why would anybody stay in a place like that as I know I would be depressed if I was staying there. Seeing that China is growing and improving rapidly whilst improving the quality of life, why are there still places like this inside an education establishment. 

12 hours ago, Lee18 said:

why would anybody stay in a place like that as I know I would be depressed if I was staying there.

I assume (and it's not that big of a stretch, I think) that the rooms have larger windows on the other side of the building, so there is light in the rooms. Since the hallways are balconies, it's probably in an area with nice weather most of the year. Many Chinese university campuses have small parks, basketball fields, benches... If you get along with your roommates, the interior of the room is in decent working other, and the university classes are alright - all not guaranteed, but reasonable possibilities - there is no reason to get depressed from living there.

Why would you stay in a dormitory like that? For the chance to be a student and to better yourself. The dormitories for the factories that make iPhones and and other hi tech consumer goods for export famously have suicide nets set up around them. Any dormitory that doesn't need to have equipment to stop its residents throwing themselves over the railings is a good dormitory.

Back in the day (Late '90s), accommodation for local Chinese students was always far worse than for foreign students. If I went to visit someone, I'd expect to see bunk beds lining the walls, at least 4 to a room, fluorescent strip lighting, and a giant rice cooker. A window would be a luxury.

My friend in Beijing who works with recent graduates says that they're all spoilt and entitled, so I'd be fascinated to see the state inside dorms these days.

• Like 1