Chinese-Forums

Coronavirus - those in China, and general discussion

Jan Finster

Yes, I saw that about Keystone too. 

It seems that individual institutions are having to negotiate with local government departments on how many foreign teachers can return, and presumably they will then be issued with the invitation letter alluded to in the current notice?

According to the Announcement regarding the Temporary Suspension of Entry to Foreign Nationals Holding Valid Chinese Visas or Residence Permits published on March 26th, “Foreign nationals coming to China for necessary economic, trade, scientific or technological activities or out of emergency humanitarian needs may apply for visas at Chinese Embassies or Consulates”, the applicant can apply for a visa only when he/she has an official ‘Invitation Letter (PU/TE)’ or ‘Verification Confirmation of Invitation’ issued by the local provincial Foreign Office or Department of Commerce at the intended destination of visit in China.

Edit: And it's not. It's not just a case of turning up at the airport with your test results, you need to take (or send, I suppose, but you've only got a few days) the results to the embassy (or visa centre?) to get a health certificate (向中国使领馆申办健康状况声明书). Then the airline checks the certificate.

Also, it sounds like an actual list of suitable labs is currently theoretical: 中国大使馆认真评估驻在国核酸检测能力,并在具备条件的时候发布具体实施办法。It's easy to imagine this is a much bigger barrier for travellers from developing countries?

Chinese nationals can use the international edition of the health code app to upload their results.

• Like 1

There are some other reports that this is all "in process" and may be implemented step-by-step as embassies make arrangements with local labs.

"當局指出,相關檢測應在中國駐外使館指定或認可機構進行,中國大使館將認真評估當地機構的檢測能力,在具備條件的時候發布具體實施辦法。"

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/ch/component/k2/1539058-20200721.htm

But it's clear where China is heading.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 8:28 PM, mungouk said:

having to negotiate with local government departments on how many foreign teachers can return,

Think it’s a % of the total then ... likely to slowly bring in more and more teachers back. 

You saw the news?

The Houston fire department arrived after neighbours reported smoke from burning document pyres in the rear garden of the consulate. They weren't let in. “You could just smell the paper burning,” a witness said.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/07/22/houston-fire-and-police-responding-to-reports-of-documents-being-burned-at-consulate-general-of-china/

I think there's scope, if anyone wants to start it, a topic on worsening China-foreign relations, and impact on people visiting China, even if it's only an increase in "what do you think about [global times headline]?" questions. 

• Helpful 1

I guess it's not related to Wuhan after all. The U.S. State Department is saying the closure was ordered "in order to protect American intellectual property and Americans' private information. . . The United States will not tolerate the PRC's violations of our sovereignty and intimidation of our people, just as we have not tolerated the PRC's unfair trade practices, theft of American jobs and other egregious behavior."

"Intimidation of our people" is strong and unusual language, and suggests the consulate was caught involved in something pretty serious. Normally just a diplomat or two are kicked out, not the whole consulate.

A new China travel advisory from IATA (Timatic database) has just been published.

From a quick glance the main differences seem to be:

• No mention of invitation letters now, just "necessary economic, trade, scientific or technological activities or out of emergency humanitarian needs may apply for visas"

• Addition of Clause 6 on COVID-19 certificates, in particular "The testing capabilities in each country are still being evaluated. As soon as the specific implementation measures are known, Timatic will be updated."

Published 22.07.2020

1. The mainland of China has decided to temporarily suspend the entry into the mainland of China by foreign nationals holding visas or residence permits still valid to the time of this announcement, effective from 00:00 local time, 28 March 2020. Entry by foreign nationals with APEC Business Travel Cards will be suspended as well.

- Policies including port visas, 24/72/144-hour visa-free transit policy, Hainan 30-day visa-free policy, 15-day visa-free policy specified for foreign cruise-group-tour through Shanghai Port, Guangdong 144-hour visa-free policy specified for foreign tour groups from Hong Kong or Macao SAR, and Guangxi 15-day visa-free policy specified for foreign tour groups of ASEAN countries will also be temporarily suspended. Entry with diplomatic, service, courtesy or C visas will not be affected.

- Foreign nationals coming to the mainland of China for necessary economic, trade, scientific or technological activities or out of emergency humanitarian needs may apply for visas at Chinese embassies or consulates.

- Entry by foreign nationals with visas issued after 28 March 2020 will not be affected.

2. Passengers arriving at Beijing (PEK), Guangzhou (CAN), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA), Shanghai Pudong (PVG), Shenzhen (SZX) or Xiamen (XMN) are subject to medical screening and quarantine for 14 days.

3. Airline crew of foreign airlines:

- are not required to undergo nucleic acid test if they have a short stay after landing then depart immediately, and do not leave apron during the transition; OR

- shall receive nucleic acid test in the first port of entry if they need to enter the country to rest or continue to operate domestic routes. The test results will be confirmed by the local government in accordance with the requirements of epidemic prevention management. Only if the test results are negative, crews can continue the operations; OR

- are allowed to return to their home country for isolation treatment when agreed by the local joint control mechanism, if they are symptomatic, in close contact with infected persons or tested positive. Airlines and crews shall make all commitments to bear their responsibilities and also carry out strict protections.

4. A completed “Health Declaration Form" must be presented upon arrival. The form can be obtained before departure at http://health.customsapp.com/ .

5. Nationals of China (People's Rep.) arriving from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Czechia, Denmark, France, Germany, Iran, Ireland (Rep.), Israel, Italy, Korea (Rep.), Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Philippines, Portugal, Russian Fed., Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom and USA must declare their health status for 14 days in the Wechat mimi program "FANG YI JIAN KANG MA GUO JI BAN". A green QR code generated from the program must be presented before departure.

6. The implementation of the new COVID-19 certificate requirement depends on the Chinese Embassy in each country. The testing capabilities in each country are still being evaluated. As soon as the specific implementation measures are known, Timatic will be updated.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I'm currently going through the 'returning to China from UK' process. I have my flight booked with BA from London to Shanghai (the approved routes that were released yesterday) for 20 August, so ill report about the covid testing process closer to the time.

• Like 3

@thrice12 did you also have to apply for a new visa recently?

I just re-started the process last week... Today I got my criminal background check back (surprisingly quickly) with the apostille on it, and have an appointment to "legalise" it at the visa application centre next week.

Hopefully they can give some pointers there on who should be doing the COVID tests...

Does anyone know if it is possible to return to Shenzhen or Guangzhou? I heard some foreign expats are returning to Beijing and Shanghai, but couldn't find similar news related to Guangdong.

PS: I've made a phone call to the Shenzhen Foreign Affairs Office, they provide me with a link to the official page of application process - http://fao.sz.gov.cn/xxgk/zyxw/202006/t20200615_19255818.htm 

The Expat Focus WeChat account has been keeping a list of flights that are on again, although there seem to be new ones added every day right now.

Guangzhou looks feasible with Emirates (via Dubai); Shenzhen maybe only via Seoul or Tokyo at the moment?

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/GK3ERI2YDUWSJySo-vU1Mw (dated 18 July)