Chinese-Forums

Coronavirus - those in China, and general discussion

Jan Finster

There's still an issue of ghost flights at the moment. Very few international airlines have permission to fly into China, however this seems to be changing on a daily basis at the moment. I keep checking https://www.routesonline.com for the latest on flights.

@mungouk I think the process depends on the job you hold in China. I didn't have to do any of that.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

I didn't have to do any of that.

I'm not sure what "that" refers to, but ...

EDIT: Ah, @Saxondale you just changed your username and avatar... I was confused.

...in my case I'm having to apply for my Z-visa all over again, because my previous one expired before I managed to get back to China.  I'm a teacher.

Good find on the routes online website, thanks!

1 hour ago, 889 said:

This'll affect those living in Chengdu's consular district: Sichuan, Yunnan, Guizhou,Tibet and Chongqing.

Law firms, such as Yingke, are going to have a field day with this. Because they'll have to pick up the slack once the consulate leaves the area. This is a much bigger blow for the US than for the Chinese, that's for sure. I wonder how AmCham is impacted through this. Large tech companies in Sichuan, such as Apple, will probably be fine... but what about the rest?

Not sure how law firms benefit.

Those needing consular services will just have to head to another consulate. Lots of Americans and American firms in big cities like Xi'an and Kunming manage fine without a close-by U.S. consulate.

Convenient to have a consulate nearby if you need to register a baby or get a new passport etc. but with just a handful of U.S. consulates scattered across China, not that many Americans actually benefit from that convenience.

The Houston Chinese consulate does not have much curb appeal. Doubt it could be converted into a hip or trendy restaurant. But who knows? Maybe one specializing in Sweet & Sour Red Tape.

1677624535_houstonconsulate-900.thumb.jpg.34cc184f5b18ce81a6f792d260c7a805.jpg

• Like 1

There are some good news regarding coming back to China. Seems that the government is planning to let some people back in by renewing the visa application in certain countries. So far I heard about South Korea, Pakistan, South Africa and Thailand, not sure how it will work with other countries (here's one link: https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200727006500325). Also, can't quite say how it will work, whether people who are not nationals of a given country can also get the visa (like me, being stuck in Korea) and how exactly would that coming back looking like. But it's a step in a good direction nonetheless and good news for people like me, sitting on pins and needles waiting to be let back in

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Updated guidance from the Chinese Embassy in London on Covid testing

That's useful... I was in the visa application centre in Manchester today and nobody seemed to have a clue about whether foreigners (who can't use the health mini app for Chinese citizens) are supposed to get their COVID test results verified/approved by the embassy or some such.

Just now, mungouk said:

That's useful... I was in the visa application centre in Manchester today and nobody seemed to have a clue about whether foreigners (who can't use the health mini app for Chinese citizens) are supposed to get their test results verified/approved by the embassy or some such.

Yeah, they're clearly still working through the details. It's worth mentioning that Manchester and Edinburgh seem to be a little behind London on the latest info. Even if we have to verify our covid test, the process seems pretty straightforward and doesn't require physically going to the Embassy/VAC.

4 minutes ago, mungouk said:

How did you spot it, @Saxondale?

I guess we would fall under this process if we have to verify:

(三)外国公民申领健康状况声明书办法

外国公民应在获得核酸检测阴性证明后,将有效护照资料页、核酸检测阴性证明和申请人已签字的健康状况声明书(点击文末链接下载健康状况声明书)的扫描件,发送至以下中国驻英使领馆指定邮箱:

驻英国使馆:testreportuk@gmail.com

驻曼彻斯特总领馆:health_man@outlook.com

驻爱丁堡总领馆:lsxz_edi@163.com

驻贝尔法斯特总领馆:chinacnbft@gmail.com

相应使领馆审核通过后,以邮件方式将健康状况声明书扫描件发还申请人,请申请人自行打印并携带至机场。请注意在健康状况声明书有效期内中转乘机,并在登机前配合航空公司查验。

My Chinese is terrible so i might be wrong...

• Like 1

I just realised that when I was at the VAC today — just to legalise one document — they asked me to sign a declaration which is identical to the one linked from that page, except it doesn't have the bottom part below the line.

I don't really see how that's relevant to legalisation, but I guess a lot of this doesn't make instant sense right now!

However, it's maybe worth noting this bit for anyone intending to travel soon:

8. Visiting public spaces like hospitals, theaters, restaurants and leisure facilities or taking part in group activities without taking protective measures like wearing a mask.

It's quite likely Virgin will have a second route to Shanghai in September, but i can't see the cost coming down anytime soon. 

On 7/28/2020 at 6:57 PM, Saxondale said:

It seems you don't have to get it certified unless you're transiting in certain countries. I'm sure this will constantly change but it's good news for now.

I know someone that recently submitted their covid test to all 3 email addresses (London, Manchester, Edinburgh). London and Manchester promptly responded saying it wasn't needed, however Edinburgh did issue the certification. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

• Like 1