Chinese-Forums

Coronavirus - those in China, and general discussion

Jan Finster

Sounds more like old-fashioned xenophobia than necessary covid precautions, if you ask me. If the authorities had had reason to suspect the friend had the virus (for example because someone in the hotel got sick), wouldn't they have just extended the hotel stay?

13 minutes ago, Demonic_Duck said:

But given the maximum incubation period is still thought to be 14 days, were they told any reason for the increased quarantine period? Did someone in the hotel they'd been at turn out to have the virus, for example?

Not that I am aware of - anyway, this person doesn't speak Chinese so if information was relied, it was lost in translation. But I agree, definitely overkill considering how reducing the quarantine period from 14 to 10 days is something that may happen in the future.

Based on the reports I've been hearing from acquaintances all over the country, it seems that local governments are randomly toying with returnees and there's not one single type of quarantine you'll be asked to follow as well as no way to know how strict will it be. I am sure xenophobia plays a part on this, since foreigners are currently not allowed to visit some parts of Sichuan and Western China - and tourist spots like 华山 will kick you out with a 没为什么+没办法 combo.

This might be the persecution complex that I've developed over  my interactions with you talking, but it's clear that you are always on the lookout for blood. Should I give in to the sharks already?

Staying afloat is tiring, but other than that I enjoy these forums and I'd hate to leave.

UK Foreign Office China travel advice updated today... it seems that local requirements may vary:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china/coronavirus

Restrictions on movement and quarantine arrangements remain for travel between different parts of the country. Some cities and provinces require travellers from high to medium risk areas to undergo 14 days of isolation in their place of residence or in centralised observation. Quarantine is enforced at the neighbourhood level and procedures vary, so check in advance.

The possibility that local authorities impose mandatory quarantine in response to fresh outbreaks is high. There have been reports of individuals who have frequented bars or restaurants where there have been confirmed cases of COVID-19 being mandated to undergo 14 days of centralised quarantine. You should keep up to date with the latest developments and this travel advice.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

That doesn't answer my question... but it's fine.

Nah, I won't ask this person to join in. My post, as well as others I've made in the past, always cover the topic on hand - there's no more information to rely. Sometimes I have my reasons to be vague, but I hope we can all respect that. And then believing what I say or not it's ultimately up to the reader's critical thinking and gullibility.

啊, if you are wondering: I simply contribute to these forums because I enjoy the oxytocin rush of being liked/quoted and lightly trolling here and there. I also have a firm believe that Chinese-forums.com karma-internet points will someday have the same value as bitcoin, so you can consider it a form of investment to retire in China long-term once I cash them in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mungouk said:

UK Foreign Office China travel advice updated today... it seems that local requirements may vary:

Oh, seems I wasn't bullshitting anybody after all. Godsend!

Either that or my luck meter has been depleted for the day. I'll have to stay indoors for the remainder of the day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mungouk said:

Just got my PCR test result back — negative. *phew*

That was pretty quick — 25 hours after the test was taken. (Private clinic in Manchester.)

Now to pack some suitcases...

Do you still have to send the negative result to the embassy for verification?

9 hours ago, chinadude2006 said:

It's not clear if you still need to**  but I did it anyway — my approach to bureaucracy is that you can never have too many bits of paper "just in case".

At 5:45pm on Friday I emailed it along with the Health Declaration Form and passport copy to both the Manchester Consulate and the London Embassy.

The Manchester consulate emailed me the Health Declaration with signature and a chop within 90 minutes, which was impressive. 

I didn't get any reply from the Embassy yet.

Edit: I got a reply from the Embassy the following morning at 11:15, also with signature and a chop.

** The most recent official notice about this from 14 August, Notice on Airline Boarding Requirement for Certificate of Negative Result of Nucleic Acid Tests for Covid-19, says you have to, but as I mentioned earlier a colleague told me he'd had an email back saying it's no longer necessary.  I decided to do it anyway.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mungouk said:

t's not clear if you still need to**  but I did it anyway — my approach to bureaucracy is that you can never have too many bits of paper "just in case"

that’s a good one. There always might be an over zealous someone along the line who demands more than is necessary. 

• Like 2

On 10/24/2020 at 9:47 AM, chinadude2006 said:

Just to follow up on this... I'm now pretty sure the answer is YES (and I'm not sure what happened to my colleague that made him get a weird reply back).

Having said that, I've been through the whole arrival > testing > go to quarantine process now, and the only time anyone asked to see it was as I went through the gate for my flight from London Heathrow to Shanghai.

Everything else (or at least boarding the plane and testing on arrival) seems to run off the QR code you get by filling in the health declaration APP / WeChat mini-program.

• Helpful 1

On 10/23/2020 at 7:16 PM, mungouk said:

The nasal penetration experience wasn't painful, but it was still unpleasantly weird.

...and then there's the both-nostrils test on arrival at Shanghai Pudong, with the extra long swab.

Now I know the true meaning of "Nasopharyngeal"... 

NPS.jpg.fd46ba9b7ba32315345ea82d8b9cb455.jpg

• Like 4