Chinese-Forums

Coronavirus - those in China, and general discussion

Jan Finster

Curious, how was student life affected during SARS? I searched for info on this on the site but the closest thread I got had been closed for discussion. Did school need to be extended or stopped altogether? Is that likely to happen this time(again?)?

Local expressway near us has set up a temperature check. You can still use all roads though. It’s a toll road but I wouldn’t have said a major one. 

Still being hit with wechat rumours started by local idiots. In Beijing there was on about a plane spraying the city.  Where I am now there was an “announcement” that suddenly 150+ people had the virus and the city would shut down all transport. 

10 hours ago, Jan Finster said:

You could also get yourself some disposable silicone gloves. But do not reuse them.

This is a double edged sword. You have to be alert to what you touch. I have seen health professionals wear gloves for protection, yet not take them off and touch other equipment. Then, someone can potentially touch the equipment with bare hands and boom, there's your transmission. I totally agree with your statement about not reusing gloves.

6 hours ago, 艾墨本 said:

As for actual numbers, the closest I can get is through people working as medical professions in China and it seems that numbers are for 10000 for sure with some closer to 20000. Predictions for total infected is at 40000-60000 depending on the effectiveness of the actions taken from now on.

Thanks. Really appreciate the information. Figures seem more realistic in line with the action of shutdown of the city/province. This goes back to an earlier post where I suspected numbers were higher. Looks like a lot of heads will roll in Wuhan. It's a massive embarrassment and setback to the country in its efforts to be seen as a modern society

Expecting to see higher figures for deaths. 41 as of present seems rather low.

5 hours ago, Lance said:

Anyway, let's hope the containment process can take less time than it took for SARS

With these numbers of infection and the delay in alerting the public, I don't think so. You need more than four weeks from the last known case to finally declare being free of the disease. It's a bit of speculation but probably we are looking at March earliest to confirm if cases are getting less. 

19 hours ago, Shelley said:

After 2 weeks I would poke my head out of the door and see what was going on, normality? Go out and rejoin life.  No people about, tumbleweed blowing down the street? Close the door and repeat above for 2 more weeks.

Sadly, one of the first things you will out of in those 2 weeks is drinking water. Whenever I am in China the fact that you cannot safely drink tap water leaves me uneasy...

2 hours ago, Flickserve said:

This is a double edged sword. You have to be alert to what you touch. I have seen health professionals wear gloves for protection, yet not take them off and touch other equipment.

Shame on them ?

You can use your disinfectant spray on the gloves too. For those of you with sensitive skins, using gloves means less frequent hand washing (your skin will thank you). 

Disinfect or wash your hands as soon as you get past the finger print scanner at customs....

• Helpful 1

Local villages nearby have told people not to “visit relatives”. Today is the traditional day for doing that. No one has said anything here though. 

It’s not got as bad a village in Beijing reportedly barricading themselves in but the news seems to have finally hit home here in the sticks. 

As a result, people are out buying more 面粉 ? After all, that is all you need. 

I’m pushing to return to Beijing ASAP for fear of being trapped here. We could also leave China easily from Beijing if necessary. 

8 hours ago, Tomsima said:

Were going into day four of not leaving the house now and starting to get a bit of cabin fever.

You can go out for a walk. If you are in a particular affected area, then keep your distance from other people and gatherings.

Today the multiplex cinema in my closest shopping center is closed. (It was open and in full operation yesterday.) I looked on line, and it seems many of Kunming's other movie theaters are also closed. The few that are open have drastically reduced schedules, only two or three showings of the most popular films all day.

For example "Lost in Russia"   囧妈 (a big-budget holiday comedy) is only showing at one theater today or tomorrow. Nothing listed for the day after. Doubt this was planned, since it only opened yesterday and reviewers have predicted it would be a big money maker. It's a sequel to the blockbuster "Lost in Thailand" 泰囧 from 2012 or 2013.

image.thumb.png.ea765df392da64ee13bcbedfcae8003a.png

3 hours ago, ChTTay said:

Local villages nearby have told people not to “visit relatives”. Today is the traditional day for doing that. No one has said anything here though. 

Where im at many (but from from everyone) did the 拜年 traditions digitally through wechat video. Normally everyone would go door to door around their neighborhood to wish a happy new year, give 红包, and catch up on gossip. 

yeah I think there were lots of phone calls! 

Village Roads closed as of this evening. If we hadn’t left today we’d have been stuck! 

Police check points after the expressway. 

When we went through the checkpoint they only care about cars that aren’t local. When our driver said he was from the next town over they just waved us through.

11 hours ago, Flickserve said:

With these numbers of infection and the delay in alerting the public, I don't think so. You need more than four weeks from the last known case to finally declare being free of the disease. It's a bit of speculation but probably we are looking at March earliest to confirm if cases are getting less. 

Sadly I've come to accept the reality that is that the best I can do is just relax and see what happens.

4 hours ago, abcdefg said:

For example "Lost in Russia"   囧妈 (a big-budget holiday comedy) is only showing at one theater today or tomorrow.

I just this second finished watching it on TV. My wife was telling me that because of the virus, they've made it free to watch on TV/streaming apps. I highly recommend it! Not quite as good as Lost in Thailand, though!

• Like 1