Chinese-Forums

Coronavirus - those in China, and general discussion

Jan Finster

The reporting of new cases seems up to date, can't really comment on changed behaviour as I've done nothing different myself and wasn't planning to travel for the New Year. I was here all through the SARS crisis and made no adjustments then either, mind.

• Like 1

As Jim says, seems pretty accurate. Just yesterday Chinese and English language Domestic news reports included the new cases in Beijing and Shenzhen. Wechat has a lot of graphics floating around on how to protect yourself and symptoms. 

So far have noticed zero changes. I have not yet started the seasonal exodus via Beijing West Station though. I assume they might have some checks but haven’t read about any. Likely the most you’ll see is some people wearing masks. If it gets worse perhaps you’ll see a lot of people wearing masks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flickserve said:

When did reports in Chinese media first appear?

SCMP coverage has been on-going throughout, if that counts.

I think Xinhua/China Daily have also been fairly up-front... possibly still sensitive to the way SARS was mismanaged (early denial) back in the early 2000s. (When I was working in Malaysia, and I remember it was all a bit confused.)

International media today have confirmed human-to-human transmission, and coming just before 春运 the timing couldn't be worse.

1 hour ago, ChTTay said:

Likely the most you’ll see is some people wearing masks.

Increasing numbers of airports are setting up thermal cameras for screening incoming passengers, to check for fever symptoms. 

Changi airport (Singapore) has had this set up more or less constantly from my experience in the past 2-3 years. 

1 hour ago, mungouk said:

Increasing numbers of airports are setting up thermal cameras for screening incoming passengers, t

Of course I meant the reactions of average people as they go about their daily lives. There will be more and more screening by the government. 

2 hours ago, Flickserve said:

When did reports in Chinese media first appear?

That seemed quite timely as well, was reading the same numbers on NetEase reports as in the foreign press. This thing about medical staff getting infected for example, pretty swift update: https://news.163.com/20/0121/02/F3CM6GT20001899O.html Think @mungouk is right that they've learned from the SARS debacle.

I live in the same district (大兴区)  in Beijing where the two reported  cases are. However I'm not bothered. I suppose I will take more precautions , avoid people coughing and sneezing , but I doubt I will start wearing a mask yet, I just can't stand wearing those things. 

I don't have the same confidence that the government are giving folks the correct information. They reported the cases but I have my doubts the scale of the problem is being made known publicly. The fact remains that they cover up a lot of information, crime rates, violence on doctor and nurses , etc so why should this be any different?

When you  restrict freedom of media, it's naturally going to be to the benefit if the state.

13 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

When you  restrict freedom of media, it's naturally going to be to the benefit if the state.

That's true, but they've learned that it's in the interests of the state not make such a hamfisted job of a public health crisis, especially where any blame will come from how it's handled, not how it started.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Jim said:

That's true, but they've learned that it's in the interests of the state not make such a hamfisted job of a public health crisis, especially where any blame will come from how it's handled, not how it started.

I try to put myself in the position of a senior state official. I am broadly agree with chinese policies and philosophy of putting the good of society before the good of the individual . Should you restrict information so  as not to create a panic, flood hospitals which people who have a sniffle. It's a complex decision I daresay  

I have already seen people in expat wechat groups make massive generalisations about this like “local nurses are really worried” or “people aren’t leaving Beijing if they have kids” which are just ridiculous and can  lead to unnecessary panic. If this is happening in specific English language wechat groups then you can guess Chinese ones have similar stuff going on. 

I will likely wear a mask when at the train station and perhaps on the train on our visit to relatives this year. 

It's just another one of those panics the media stokes.  It's not a big deal, but they'll make it look like it is.  

Just wash your hands more often, that's really it.  And even that won't make a difference if you don't encounter an infected person.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vellocet said:

It's just another one of those panics the media stokes.  It's not a big deal, but they'll make it look like it is. 

I think that's going to far the other way - it is a novel virus of a class that killed 800 in the SARS crisis and the authorities do have a track record on lying. As I say, I think they've learned from past mistakes, but still there will be a disconnect between e.g. central and local transparency. So while I'm not overly concerned myself can see why people do worry.

The real message is it's you meat-eaters' fault, anyway ?

Last night the local government reported a case here in Hangzhou, and this morning it has been updated to 5 confirmed in Hangzhou. My wife and I got the flu pretty bad last month, and with a baby at home, had to wear those n95 masks every day. We basically stocked up on them, so we are just wearing those every time we go out to public places like hospitals now. In fact, all of the doctors in Hangzhou have been told they must wear a n95 mask now.