Chinese-Forums

How does this gift card work?

Jan Finster

In the drama All is Well (都挺好) people are handed cards with money either as a bonus (for exceptional work performance) or as a bribe.

Attached is a picture.

How does this work?

Do you need a Chinese bank account to get the money?

Is this an alternative solution for foreigners without Chinese bank accounts and/or AliPay or WeChat Pay?

Clipboard01.bmp

• Like 1

I can't tell, but it looks like an anonymous prepaid bank card. Maybe you can use it by presenting the card itself at shops.

But you certainly cannot use it to set up QR code payments on Alipay/Wechat, since that requires name verification with a Chinese bank account (or the new Alipay Tourist Pass).

• Helpful 1

Did a quick search. there's reference here to bribery cases where the bribee accepts a card belonging to the briber, with the bribe to be taken as the amount in the account, not the amount withdrawn. Another one here where the card is in the name of a briber's subordinate. 

I'd be a little surprised if prepaid cards are easy to get in China, and very surprised if the ID requirements are lower than for a normal bank account.

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, 889 said:

Actually, the card that's pictured seems to be the 工商银行商友卡.

https://baike.baidu.com/item/工行商友卡

8 hours ago, roddy said:

Did a quick search. there's reference here to bribery cases where the bribee accepts a card belonging to the briber, with the bribe to be taken as the amount in the account, not the amount withdrawn. Another one here where the card is in the name of a briber's subordinate. 

I'd be a little surprised if prepaid cards are easy to get in China, and very surprised if the ID requirements are lower than for a normal bank account.

You guys are awesome! :)

I still cannot figure out if this can be used as a "红包 kind of" money donation. Surely, the person withdrawing the money would need to show ID or would this work on an ATM? 

34 minutes ago, Jan Finster said:

I still cannot figure out if this can be used as a "红包 kind of" money donation. Surely, the person withdrawing the money would need to show ID or would this work on an ATM? 

It's the kind of card you give to your mistress 二奶。She can use it in a store to buy a fur coat or in an ATM to get cash. The PIN number is issued with the card. You got the PIN number at the bank the same time you got the card. You tell her the PIN number when you give her the card. 

• Helpful 1