Chinese-Forums

corona virus -motivation now completely dried up

suMMit

6 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Its not just a personal attack on you mate but sometimes people need to be told straight out. 

This is disingenuous. You are insulting OP. Your post can be summarized thusly: “Other people are much less fortunate than you, stop being a big baby. This topic you started is pointless, don’t waste my time.”

@DavyJonesLocker Another way to handle this would’ve been to just unsubscribe from the topic if you don’t like it, and perhaps start another topic to vent if that’s what you feel like doing. Yes, people in Wuhan have it really tough right now, but they’re going to get through it by supporting each other, not tearing each other down.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

@Summit: you really do not have to justify your feelings to anyone. More likely than not there are many other people, who feel like you, but are afraid to share their feelings. Maybe due to fear of being criticised or ridiculed. So, I think many people are grateful that you share your concerns. I was supposed to fly to Beijing in early March for a seminar and I did feel concerned about it too. 

As I have mentioned in another post, you could feel something like a mild form of PTSD. I am not claiming that I could diagnose it, let alone from a forum post, but I would not be surprised. Typically PTSD develops only several weeks or months after the event, so I said "something like PTSD". About PTSD:"Anyone can develop PTSD at any age. This includes war veterans as well as survivors of physical and sexual assault, abuse, car accidents, disasters, terror attacks, or other serious events. Not everyone with PTSD has been through a dangerous event. Some experiences, like the sudden or unexpected death of a loved one, can also cause PTSD." "https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/index.shtml

Again, thank you for sharing your feelings openly!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

@Summit  A question is "why does this bother you when you likely realize there are many other risks that cause more deaths?"  As noted, the yearly flu kills many more people, as do motor vehicles crashes.  Do why is coronavirus SO disturbing?  I

A big reason for this likely because we're measuring the # of deaths.  If you got a daily count of traffic deaths, you'd probably not want to go out on the road.  If you got daily updates of deaths of people doing your favorite hobby, you might stop the hobby.  Hearing the numbers associated with a risk scares many people.  We could do a better job fighting smoking if we gave a daily death count rather than saying 480,000 die/year from smoking related causes in the US (which is about 1 death/minute).    

Or when flying:  we all know there is a small chance the plane will crash.  A very small chance.  However, we don't want to hear the numbers.  If the pilot came on and said "We have a new open information approach with our customers.  I want to let you know that today we have a 1 in 10 million chance of crashing.  Normally, the risk is..."  Whatever that number is "1 in 10 million, 1 on 10,000 or ...., we don't want to hear it.  It scares us.  The coronavirus news can do that as well.  

Going back to your question, epidemics & pandemics will come & go.  China and Chinese will remain.  Take a break and then restart your studies.    

• Like 1

“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”

Blaise Pascal, Pensées

Now that nearly all of China is doing just that (although maybe not entirely alone), I would bet that the number of deaths and injuries over this period will be much lower than they otherwise would have been. I think the reduction in traffic accidents alone will be more than enough to offset the number of deaths from this virus. According to the WHO, 260k people were killed in road accidents in 2015, and there have been, what, 100 deaths from the virus so far? I personally was planning on spending the spring break snowboarding. I'm pretty certain that the likelihood of me dying from breaking my neck on the slopes is many orders of magnitude greater than that of contracting and dying from this virus.

The best thing us ordinary people can do to defeat the outbreak is to not get infected by staying at home. I'm trying to make the most of the situation by doing all the things I have been too busy to do:

- read books

- learn new songs on my guitar

- watch movies

- play computer games

- going on a water fast (seems like the best time to do it, since I'm pretty much confined to my apartment with no responsibilities anyway)

A little stoicism goes a long way, and I do mean a little - after all, there's nothing particularly stoic about sitting in your thermal underwear paying video games ?

Keep calm and carry on everyone.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, StChris said:

I think the reduction in traffic accidents alone will be more than enough to offset the number of deaths from this virus

As someone who has known multiple people who have died in car accidents in China, this is a positive way to think about things.

On 1/28/2020 at 1:17 PM, suMMit said:
On 1/28/2020 at 10:56 AM, TheWind said:

Would you rather spend your time imagining worst case scenarios like Flora? 

I have know idea what that means, I also don't give a toss.

image.thumb.png.00cc70a433683e730d5e7f9d69549e00.pngimage.thumb.png.db4638ffd80152d1cede50419f517806.pngspacer.png 

image.png

2.jpg

image.thumb.png.78c9dcb759a132bcaf9422c13b6bfbe4.png