Chinese-Forums

中文小书

TheWind

Hi Everyone.  Haven't been on the forums for a while

I'm looking for tips and suggestions on where to find good Chinese books for reading (ideally with 汉字 & 拼音 or english translation) 

Im at the beginning on NPCR 5, but I rather read a book, as it's more enjoyable, to improve my grammar & vocab (probably the 2 areas I need to improve most) as opposed to going through a text book

Thanks in Advance

14 minutes ago, roddy said:

This excellent list of graded readers any use?

I've tried graded readers before, in my experience the vocab doesn't really stray from the HSK list, which is fine if passing the HSK tests are your goal. Also the few I've tried didn't really have content that grabbed my attention. 

I'll have another look in case I overlooked anything - thanks

10 hours ago, TheWind said:

From my experience those never really had 拼音 or translations

In China, easy-to-read books with English translations are rare. But children's books with pinyin should be easy to find. I would check again in a large supermarket or bookstore. Ask a friend or store employee to help you find 带拼音的童话 or 带拼音的儿童故事.

Or if you prefer to buy books with pinyin online, peruse hundreds of titles available at the links below. 

https://www.tmall.com/mlist/cp_tvnNr82vu7C5ysrCyunGtNL0.html

https://www.tmall.com/mlist/cp_tPjGtNL0tcS2-c2vucrKwsrpuPHB1s2vu7A=.html

O1CN01RhmEPc1NoczTAr0Ct_!!2563481617.jpg

• Helpful 1

Out of curiosity, why do you want the books to include pinyin? Most people, myself included, find it more of an annoyance than anything else. I've seen beginners saying they prefer pinyin to be included, but if you've finished NPCR 4 you should already be at a (lower-)intermediate level and be used to reading shorter texts with no pinyin.

Not meant as a critique, I'm genuinely curious.

25 minutes ago, Balthazar said:

Out of curiosity, why do you want the books to include pinyin?

mainly for convenience if I come across a new character or phrase.  While I can type the characters on phone and computer, I can't write them. Therefore I can recognize characters but don't know how to write them without essentially copying what I see.

Because of this, If I come across a new character, I have to get my phone out and start copying the character in Pleco just to find the meaning.  it's rather tidious if there are more than a few new characters per page